Chapter 3

“I do not support your idea Viktor”, Violet told her brother sternly as the moonlight hit her face majestically. The twins were accompanied by a cloaked figure as they strolled down the empty streets of the capitol. Violet held tight onto the cloaked figure and glanced around warily for any possible danger.

“And I believe you are mentally ill”, Viktor said, a boyish smile playing on his lips. Violet shot him an offended glare before ignoring him completely. She did agree with him though, she was being extremely hypocritical at the moment. There was nothing to fear in the empty streets at this hour. The clock had not even struck twelve, which was when most vampires both Newborns and Originals would crowd the street to perform their nightly rituals: drinking and feasting.

The capitol’s vibrant nightlife lured every inhabitant out of their dark shelters and onto the streets. The capitol counted many pubs and bars and a few clubs that were in demand with manly the Originals; those who had the money to buy expensive booze. Viktor and Violet preferred the nightclubs not only because of their quality drink, but the music they often provided for their guests.

A dark building doomed up in the street lights as they turned the corner ofDraggòn Street, the capitols main street and neared the small building with double doors. A porter held the door open after recognizing Viktor and Violet. Viktor greeted the man with a nod as he held onto his hat and walked inside, suite followed by Violet and the cloaked figure.

Once inside Eyra finally dropped her hood and glanced around the entrance hall. A colossal staircase, covered with red carpet, led to the first floor of the building. It struck Eyra how the inside appeared to be so much larger than the outside. Her eyes twinkled in the dim light that was provided by the chandelier that was hanging from the high ceiling.

“So this is where you usually retreat to at night”, she said amazed. She turned her head to look at her siblings and shot them a radiant smile. “I cannot believe you talked me into this Viktor”, she said and stepped closer to her brother.

“Well”, Viktor replied with a smirk, while wrapping his arm around her shoulder. Eyra slid her arm down his waist and held onto his expensive dark green jacket. “I thought you deserved to see it before you turned eighteen.”

“You mean before I do not choose to become a vampire”, she taunted him with a smile.

“Eyra, don’t be so mean, of course you will choose to turn”, Violet said and grasped Eyra’s free arm. She clung tightly to the human girl as they ascended the staircase.

“You both know I have yet to make a decision”, Eyra said and rolled her eyes as she let the twins guide her to the main hall. The music could already be heard as well as the chatter and laughter of the vampires inside. As they halted in front of the dark red curtains that appeared to be made of velvet Violet gave some last words of advice.

“Now remember, you have to stay close to us. Your smell will be camouflaged when we are near you, and if anything goes wrong…”

“I will be your savior”, Viktor smiled broadly and pulled the curtain open. “Welcome to our world.”

Eyra’s arm was still linked with Violet’s as they slowly entered the room. Eyra was stunned by the beauty and rich architecture of the room; golden pillars supported the rounded ceiling; the walls painted in blood red; the mesmerizing furniture carved from the darkest wood and the knee-height platforms that had dancers on them. Women gracefully moved to the music as they swirled around black poles; their pale bodies covered in a corset and stockings, leaving less to imagine and their faces beautifully painted with make-up. Eyra could not help but find their movements almost sensual.