Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

   Mama went straight to work after Jimmy left, having picked up another shift so she could see Jimmy off. The Howells left to go to the store, leaving just Tony and me. Tony asks if I want to go home yet and I shake my head. I wasn’t ready to go to my house where there were so many memories of my brother with both legs. I wasn’t sure if I was mourning his leg or if I was already mourning him, but it might’ve been both. Tony and I walk in silence around town and eventually end up at the park where some little kids run around, playing Tag.

   We end up sitting on the end of a dock at the edge of the park. We take off our shoes and socks and put our feet in the cold water to cool them from the Georgia heat. The river was the edge of the town and the edge of the park. The dock was almost completely hidden from the park, and not many people could tell it was here at first glance. Trees close together line the river bank on both sides. You had to climb through the trees and over all the roots and little bushes to get to this nice, little, secluded haven. My dad used to take Jimmy and me fishing out here every summer, and now I came here when I wanted to think.

    The dock went out to almost the middle of the river, so we could see both ways. From where the river met the ocean a couple of miles away, to where the river continues winding towards western Georgia. Sometimes in the summer, people would come swimming here and have picnics, but only on the hottest days of the year. We just sit there for a while, still silent. Tony is the one to break the silence.

   “He’ll be okay. I know that’s what you’re worried about, but he’ll be fine.” He looks at me, his eyes seem to see right through my brave face, and he gives me a hug. That’s when I lost it. I started crying because I was so worried for my brother. If, by some miracle, he managed to actually get out on the front lines he wouldn’t be able to move as fast as he needed to for him to stay out of trouble. Then, if officials found out he could get in big trouble for disobeying orders and things like that. I know he will find some way onto the front lines, he’s a clever man.

   “Hey, hey, Firecracker, he’s fine. He’s in great shape, and he’s perfectly able-bodied.” I choke out another sob when he says that. He sigh, “So, I guess you figured it out, huh? How’d you find out he was short a leg?”

“He fell this morning and… a-and…”

“Sh, sh, it’s okay, it’s okay. He’ll be fine.” He strokes my hair and rubs my back comfortingly. That’s when something hit me.

“Wait, how did you know about his leg?!” I was outraged that Jimmy might have told Tony before he told me.

   “He was limping, one of his feet hit the ground harder and with a different sound than the other, and I accidently kicked his leg this morning. It wasn’t that hard to put together.” Now I was ashamed that someone who had never met my brother before had figured this out before his own sister had.

   “Hey, hey, stop crying.” He lifts my head from his shoulder and rubs his thumbs under my eyes and then pulls the corners of my mouth up into a smile. “There, much better. You’re so much prettier when you smile.” I blush bright red and Tony chuckles. “Even better.” I blush even more and look away from him.

   “Just kiss her already, you idiot!” Before I even turn around I know it’s Alice. Tony and I stand up to see a retreating, laughing Alice running towards her house through the trees. She had to have been spying on us, something she’d started doing recently that was kind of creepy. We chuckle just a little bit. Tony and I both turn to face each other again, still standing, and I see that he’s blushing too.

   “My best friend’s crazy.” I shake my head and look out down the river. In the distance, I can see where the river opens into the ocean. Over the ocean, the sun is setting, tainting the sky with orange and pink and other beautiful colors.