Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

   “What?!” I screech so loud that the mothers sitting on the bench across the park actually stop their gossiping and look over. Then they go back to gossiping after looking at me like I just asked for un-sweet tea. I look at Alice, demanding an explanation for the unthinkable statement that just came out of her mouth.

   “I’m not sure if we are or not but I overheard Mama on the phone with Grandma Viola. She said that she didn’t want to stay in a house that reminded her so much of Daddy. I think we’re going to move right after graduation and go and live in Atlanta with Grandma Viola and Paw Paw Don.” She says, her eyes starting to water. My eyes sting at the thought of her moving so far away.

“Oh, Allie, you can’t. You just can’t move away. You’re twenty-one soon; you don’t have to go with them. You can stay here with me.” She shakes her head slowly and sadly and I nod.

“I don’t want Nancy and Dennis to not know much about me and only see me on holidays. I’m sorry, Mia.”

“It’s okay, I understand. Does anyone else know yet?” I ask, sniffling just a little bit.

   “No, Mama doesn’t even know I know.”At that point we both break down and just hold each other, crying. I feel a small hand tug at the skirt of my dress. I release Alice and wipe my hands underneath my eyes really quick to look down at Nancy. She stands in front of me with her hands hidden behind her back.

“What do you need, Monkey?” I ask her, keeping my voice steady.

“I picked this for you,” she pulls a white daisy out from behind her back and looks up at me with hope and innocence in her eyes. “Will you keep it forever?”

“And ever, Monkey. Forever and ever…” I watch her skip off to play with the other kids. I look back down at the daisy and become lost in my own thoughts. I’m broken out of my trance by sirens.

   “Nancy! Dennis!” Alice and I look at each other and she sprints off to get Nancy while I go after Dennis. He’s sitting in the grass with his hands over his ears, screaming and crying so much that he is red in the face. I scoop him up and run towards the public air raid shelter in the movie theater. If we were caught outside when the sirens went off and we were closer to the theater than our house we were supposed to go to the theater as quick as we could or go to the shelter in the closest business. The theater is just down the street from the park and I know that Alice will take Nancy there.

    I hold Dennis close as I run, which probably isn’t the best thing to do especially as I’m still recovering from a concussion. I see that they’re about to close the doors and are looking for anyone left out on the street. I’m the last one. I burst into the theater and join everyone else that’s sitting amongst the aisles. Dennis cries more because the sirens scare him, even after they shut off he cries. I hold him close to muffle the sound a little and start to sing softly to calm him down. He isn’t the only fussy child in the room, but he is the loudest.

   “You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey…” I continue singing and later realize that you could hear a pin drop apart from my voice. Dennis has stopped crying and so have all the other children. I don’t have a good singing voice, and I know that but apparently the children think my singing is hypnotizing. I become embarrassed that someone actually heard me singing. I’m glad that it’s dark in the theater so they can’t see my red cheeks.

   “Don’t stop, please.” A woman to my right asks. I can see the faint glow of her daughter’s golden hair. I sing another lullaby until we hear the all clear siren. I carry Dennis out and wait for Alice and Nancy to come out. She compliments me on my singing and we go back to the park to pick up the toys we left behind. When we get back to my house Mama and Aunt Tess ask us all about where we went and if everything was okay. Once they are satisfied that we are all safe they start making supper.