Chapter 22: Summer Festival, Part 1

Yoo I write a chapter titled "Summer Festival" in early winter xD

---

"We're here!"

Tom looked over the crowded festival entrance. Due to the summer festival, there were a lot more people here in the city park. Colours upon colours of furs and scalies were everywhere and Tom could only imagine how many people were here.

Max gave the grey wolf a pat. "Good thing the weather's all nice today."

Tom chuckled. They had finished their sixth semester which had been overly taxing. There were lots of social projects, in addition to that intercultural festival. Heck, Tom wasn't even sure how he could still survive today. He was glad he made it out through everything last semester, including that problem with Max.

Every year, there was a summer festival being held in the city park next to the mountain and forest. The festival lasted for a week and people from throughout the city would come and join. It was celebrated during the summer solstice, a tradition that went back hundreds of years with the analogy of Yule, the winter festival during the winter solstice.

The park itself was actually a small part of the forest that formed the northern and eastern border of the city. Tom was glad that people cared so much about the forest; it kind of gave him a sense of nature. People still remembered their roots, and despite Barrowisle having a lot of immigrants, they embraced every culture, bringing new colours to the painting.

"So, are we just going to stand here or we'll get there and have some fun?" Martin said in excitement.

Kevin grinned. "Does a group of students enjoy the Summerfest?" he said, walking ahead in the group and beckoning them to follow him.

Everyone laughed and did so.

The more energetic ones of the group ran to the entrance booths, while the rest walked more slowly behind them. They were just getting started and Tom didn't want to waste his energy just yet. Or perhaps he was preparing himself to climb the countless stairs to the mountainside. Martin already had several snacks in his hands along with Andy as they walked deeper into the festival.

Also, did he mention that Max and Kevin were bringing their buddies? Good thing they didn't bring many, though. Max just brought Andy and Octo, which was fine with Tom since he already knew and got along well with them both. On the other side of the group, Kevin brought a, um, wolf, maybe, with the name Vilkas and a hyena with him... whose name he forgot.

Actually, that made Tom a little uneasy since he didn't want the football and basketball team to think that he took Max and Kevin away, but they assured him that it wasn't a big deal. Max said most of the football team members weren't in the city for holiday anyway, while Kevin said the basketball team members rarely, if ever, hung out as a group during the holidays.

Martin was going home later this week, which gave him several days off. James' and Max's house were just next province. Lucy went home as soon as the holiday started. He kind of envied the cat but he just laughed it off. Ellie didn't want to go home since her family was going out to another country. That was a bit curious, but Ellie said she herself didn't want to go.

There weren't many people in the group, which made Tom happy. But there were lots of muscles, which made him... also happy, in a more... confusing way.

Someone tapped his shoulder, making him turn around. Octo was stretching his arm, giving him a small cake with a smile. Tom opened his maw and ate it with gusto. "Thanks."

The panther just smiled.

On the other side of the group, there was Vilkas and... Sunder? Summer? Spooner? The hyena. Vilkas seemed to be a canine version of Andy, while the hyena was a less arseholic version of Kevin. They all seemed to be enthusiastic to get to the mountainside as quickly as possible, even James.