Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

5. In The Devil's House

CARTER

Parking my car in the parking lot, I looked one last time into the mirror. My hair was a mess because I had no time to style it today. My alarm didn't wake me up this morning so here I was, in front of the building just a few minutes before Faith Becker usually arrived.

Leaving the car, I rushed inside the building. Briefly saying good morning to the receptionist, I scurried into the elevator and closed my eyes in relief that I got here on time, if not in time.

"You are late." A familiar voice reached my ears and it felt like déjà vu.

"My alarm didn't work today," I said to Faith, and walked towards the back of the elevator.

"That's a shitty excuse," she said. "This is your second strike in one week."

"It won't happen again," I said and she nodded.  

I was standing right behind her and her hair was blocking my view. Unknowingly, I checked her out. She was wearing a peach color body-con dress that hugged her curves and ended just above her knees. The dress accentuated her toned buttocks, not that it needed any accentuation.

"Stop staring at my butt." Her voice echoed in the elevator and my eyes widened.

"I... I... I wasn't," I said and looked for any sensors on her back. How did she know I was looking at her butt?

"You are doing it again," she said and I gasped.

"I wasn't," I lied again.

"How long have you been working here?" she asked, turning around to face me. Her eyes were hidden behind a pair of black sunglasses.

"It will be a week tomorrow," I said.

"And since you started working here, do you always ride the elevator to our floor?" she asked.

"Yeah." I nodded. "Why?"

"You never noticed this mirror before." She pointed at the mirror on top of the elevator door. Realizing that I had been caught red-handed, I shrank to a corner and silenced myself.

As the elevator stopped, I followed her towards her office. "You have a meeting at 10 with the—"

"Cancel all my meetings for today. We have some other things to handle," she said as she walked by the staff. Everyone stilled as if they were statues who had never spoken before. That's the effect she had on people.

"What other things?" I asked.

"We have a charity gala to arrange," she said, taking off her sunglasses and then handing them over to me. 

"There wasn't any mention of any gala in the planner," I said, rushing behind her to keep up with her pace. She was wearing heels yet her speed was unmatchable. This woman was definitely not good for my self-esteem.

"It is now," she said, and put her handbag on the desk. When she turned around, I was standing there still, making a mental note of what she had said. "Move," she snarled and I hurried out of her office

••••••••••

At exactly 1 pm, Faith's driver picked us both up from the office. We were on our way to her house to meet the event planner and caterers. I was sitting in the back seat with her and her scent was filling the whole car. 

She was busy looking at something on her laptop and I had nothing to do but look around. Once I was tired of looking at the grey back of the driver seat, I stared at her through the front mirror.