ʜᴀʙɪᴛᴜᴀʟ ᴡᴏʀᴅs (𝟷/𝟻)

Lee Jihoon was a successful 27 year old, romance novelist, known in all of South Korea. Even if you didn't read his novels, you'd know his name. He was best known for Habitual Words, a story about how the perfect relationship ended in a painful break-up. Many people loved his writing. It was different from the others. It was a romance story, but it showed the darker side of love. How love had its negative affects and how it could change you.

Habitual Words was his second novel, his favorite one at that. No one knows the reason why. When asked about it during interviews, he only answers with "it holds a special place in my heart."

So when one fine day after a long bookstore event, Jihoon returned home and checked all his emails. There, he found one that stood out from the rest.

A email from Kim Mingyu, a young, talented director who wanted to make a film adaption of one of his stories. Jihoon couldn't stop jumping around his apartment like an excited dog playing with it's toy. He was already honored enough to be recognized for his hard work in writing. But a film?

It was something he could only dream about.

So as Jihoon finished getting ready for the meeting with Mingyu, he called a taxi to take him to the destination where they'll be having lunch together. It was supposed to be an informal meeting, but Jihoon still felt nervous and anxious for what's to come.

When Jihoon finally arrived, he pays the taxi driver and quickly enters the restaurant. He walked through the entrance and looked around the place searching for the man. From the corner of his eyes, he saw someone waving his way. Turning to see who it is, he found Mingyu already sitting there. He smiled and waved back his way.

...

"It's great to finally meet you, Jihoon. Glad you could make it," Mingyu reached his hand out to shake his hand, to which Jihoon gladly accepted.

"Likewise, Mingyu," Jihoon smiled.

Soon after they exchanged greetings, a waiter walks up to their table, asking for their order.

"Coco-cola," Jihoon answers.

"I'll have that too," Mingyu nodded.

Once the worker left, Mingyu asked Jihoon simple questions like, "how was your day?" They started off the meeting with small talk in attempt to make a comfortable atmosphere. So far it was going well, and Jihoon was finally starting to relax after a few minutes.

"I recently started reading a lot of your books," Mingyu began. "One of those books had really stuck with me and gave me inspiration. I couldn't stop thinking about it even after days of finishing it."

"Which one?" asked Jihoon."

"Habitual words," he answered. "I've never gone through heartbreak before, but reading that made me feel like I was. You really have a way with words."

"Ahh, I guess" Jihoon sheepishly agrees. "I'm not that good at expressing my emotions, but when I'm writing it feels like I can be myself. You know?"

"Expressing yourself through your writing," Mingyu replies.

"Exactly," Jihoon nodded. "Habitual Words is my favorite novel that I wrote."

"Why is that?" asked Mingyu.

"It just holds a special place in my heart," Jihoon smiles softly. "The reason why... is kinda depressing."

"Oh," Mingyu frowns a bit, understanding what Jihoon was saying.

"I'm fine now though," Jihoon says. "I was in a dark place back then, and I had no idea what to do about my feelings. So as a writer, I thought I should just write my own experience with relationships into my novels. Heartbreak hurts, but you'll always get through it."

"That's another thing I loved about your book. Despite all the bad things, it ended on a good note. A new beginning for the protagonist."

"Thank you," Jihoon says sincerely. "I'm so honored to have you make a film adaption for my novel. It would be an honor."

"Well as I said earlier, it gave me inspiration," Mingyu says. "I'm glad to be meeting with you, it's an honor on my part as well."

"I actually already have someone in mind to play the lead role," Mingyu explained. "He's been in the acting industry for a while, and I think he'd be perfect."

"Who is it?" Jihoon asked.

"He's someone who I worked with once," Mingyu answered. "His acting always takes me by surprise whenever I see it. He portrays his characters perfectly, no matter how different the role is from his personality. I can show you a picture if you'd like?"

"Uh yes, I'd like to see," Jihoon nodded, watching Mingyu pull out his phone.

When Mingyu pulls the picture up, he turns his phone over to show Jihoon. And the second Jihoon looks at the picture his eyes widened when he sees his ex high school sweetheart.

"Kwon Soonyoung," Mingyu spoke as Jihoon couldn't take his eyes off the picture.

"Since you're the author, of course I had to share my ideas for the casting of your characters," Mingyu continues. "Now what do you think?"

"I-I," Jihoon gulped as he thought about what to say in his head.

This is Mingyu's movie, so Jihoon trusts him to choose whoever he wants to play in the film. Jihoon doesn't want to say no to the suggestion just because Soonyoung and him are ex-lovers. Their relationship was years ago. He's moved on completely from it, and he doesn't want personal feelings to get in the way.

Besides, it's not like he's gonna see him.

Soonyoung's just an actor in a film based off his novel. A novel that is based off his relationship with Jihoon. Shit.

"I think it's a great idea," Jihoon forces out a smile.

"Really?" Mingyu broke into a big smile. "Great! Then my crew and I will get started, and once everything is ready to begin filming, you can come visit the set!"

Mingyu gives Jihoon such sparkling, puppy eyes that he could never say "no" to.

Of course, he couldn't refuse the offer, "I would love to come."

Author note:
I have finally finished writing this short story, and I'm pretty satisfied with it (since I've written three different short stories that I was never happy with). I hope you guys enjoy <3