34

SPOILS OF WAR
— 34. To the Gates!

     While Tova was with Bjorn, Ragnar, and the others attacking by sea, Lagertha led another large number of forces alongside Kalf by land

Tova looked upwards as they approached the walls of Paris. She smiled slightly in admiration, eager to fight once more. It had been nearly a year since they fought in Wessex and she knew Paris would be even better.

She turned and watched as Floki sounded the horn, signaling their preparation to attack. She was about to walk toward Ragnar, only to have Bjorn grab her arm and force her to turn to him.

"You've been avoiding me ever since Athelstan died," Bjorn suddenly spoke up, causing Tova to sigh and roll her eyes in frustration as she turned to face him.

"This is not the time to be talking about this," She complained, giving him an annoyed look.

"Then when is the time?" Bjorn asked her with an attitude and leaned closer to Tova, "I love you, Tova, and I want to be with you. But you keep pushing me away. What better time to talk about it than now? One of us could die today and never again will be able to speak of it."

"We will not die, Bjorn," Tova argued in a stern tone. She sighed and before Bjorn could respond, she had walked away, causing Bjorn to curse under his breath.

The ships became closer to the walls and Tova looked upwards, noticing the Franks rushing to the walls with crossbows.

Many people began to jump off the boats and into the water. Some of them ended up being unlucky enough to be shot with the crossbow bolts while others reached the wall successfully.

Tova was on the verge of climbing off the boat, only to turn when Ragnar grabbed her by the arm. "Be careful. Don't die stupidly out there. I need you here. I refuse to lose you. Not after losing Athelstan. Do you hear me?" He told her in a stern tone and Tova smiled.

"You will not lose me," She assured him, nodding her head slightly before walking forward.

Tightly gripping onto her weapons, Tova jumped into the water. She began to walk through and move toward the towers Floki built. She winced as she felt it to be harder to walk through the water than expected. Her leg was beginning to hurt more than usual, which was odd for her.

She stopped and looked upwards, trying to figure out the best way to do everything. She sighed and continued to walk forward. She went to climb up onto the main platform of the tower alongside several others, only to slip as her leg throbbed in pain.

She cried out, but before she could slip into the water, Bjorn grabbed her by the waist and pushed her onto the platform. She turned to him and glared, roughly slapping his hands away. "I'm fine," She told him in a stern tone, earning a puzzled look from Bjorn.