1. Glossed Over

It was a Thursday, no, a Wednesday, no, a Tuesday. Or was it Monday? Whatever the day was, it was a day of the week. It was also a certain weather outside. Anyways, inside was green. A dingy type of green. The type you see in community funeral homes. Well, it was one. The pews were brownish and the carpet matched the walls. Everything blended in, the only thing sticking out was Daniels coffin. It was black and glossed over.

Mom was quivering next to me and Abby was sleeping in my arms. She was too young to understand anything. Dad, well dad was dad. He was God knows where. Last time I saw him was... Never actually.

As everyone walked up to the alter and gave their condolences, I just stood there, with my eyes glued on Abbys face. It was soft with a rosy glow by her cheeks. Her long eyelashes gracefully swooped along her eyelids. She had the face of an angel and the heart of a demon. She was gonna be leaving bodies along the side of the rode when she got older. Being only 4, she thought we were at church again and decided it was the perfect time to take a nap.

By the time the people stopped coming up to us, it was already 6 pm. I walked my over to Daniel and knelt next to him.

"Daniel, I'm sorry, " I whispered. I felt a tear swell underneath my eye and forced onto my cheek. I quickly wiped it away. Crying is for the weak, I thought.

Mom came up behind me, with her black handkerchief in hand and her head down.
" Analisia, we have to leave now. Say goodbye," She said.

I winced at the word goodbye. Goodbye. Goodbye to my best friend, my bully, my protector, my brother Daniel. As I stood up to leave, Abby stirred in my arms and fluttered her eyes.

"Abby, baby. Wake up now, we're saying goodbye to Daniel."

Her eyes lit up and she jumped Out of my arms.

"Daniel! Where's Daniel? " She asked, her eyes searching the room desperately.

" He's in heaven. But we're saying goodbye to his soul now. " She looked at me with confusion. Even I didn't believe it. He went to heaven. Lies! He went nowhere, nowhere but a dingy community funeral home, then soon a 500 degree furnace. What a promising future.

I held onto Abby's hand as mom ushered us out. I passed by a few familiar faces on our way to the doors but didn't care to talk to any of them.

"John!? " Mom practically screeched.

John... Hmm I've heard that name before. Oh yeah, that's right. That's my dad name. Mom dragged Abby and I over to this man in the back of the room.

" Marie, it's been so long. " John looked at me and Abby before grabbing us in a tight hug. I didn't know what to do. I hated hugs and I didn't know this guy. Reluctantly, I hugged him back.

" I cant believe what happened to Daniel. My little boy's gone. " He whispered.

Mom and I exchanged quick glances before looking back at dad. Dad had left mom when I was 3 months old for another women. He was around for most of Daniels life so only really he and mom knew dad.

" And who's this little fella? " Dad asked staring straight at Abby. That's right, dad knew nothing about her. Abby came from Oliver, my step dad.
As Abby and dad were talking, a women came out from the blue and gingerly kissed dad.

" Sorry that took so long. There was a long line at the bathroom. " She said. She had an extremely thick accent. I couldn't put my finger on what it's origin was, but it was thick.

She looked at me, to Abby, to mom, and back to me.

" Guys, I'm sorry, this is my wife, Liz. Liz Hemmings. " Dad said with a weak smile.

After we exchanged a few words, I heard an equally thick accent come from behind me, " Mom, Dad! I've been looking for you all over. "
I turned around to see this tall, quiffed, 18 year old boy striding over to us.

" And, this is our son, Luke," Dad piped.

Hey guys. Feel free to comment and vote. I'm excited for the upcoming chapters! I will try my hardest to update at least once a week. And my apologies for incorrect grammar, it's a horrible habit of mine. Anywhos, let's do this hunnybunnies!