Wilbur Soot // National Anthem

Tommy and I ran into the woods, limping. Tommy's shirt was covered in blood and my ankle was probably broken. We rushed behind trees and dug into the rich soil, hiding from the civilians. I was speechless. I couldn't say anything. I had nothing to say.

The troops past us and Tommy dragged me away from the tree. We ran up, onto a hill, and into a dark forest. It was new territory. We were used to the organized town, not this dirty landscape. I guess you shouldn't use the word 'organized' to describe the SMP. It's the opposite of that. There's a spaceship, there's a few huge towers, and there's a lot of fortnite builds everywhere.

Anyway, Tommy and I crouched every time we heard the wind blow in the bushes or a rabbit jump near us. We were pretty tense at the time. Tommy found some fields and we started calming down.

"Wilbur?" Tommy said.

I didn't reply. I had nothing to say. We walked for a long time, navigating the trees and hills. We stopped and I built a campfire. It was getting dark and I didn't feel like being around zombies or creepers. Tommy laid down near the fireplace and closed his eyes, taking a deep breath. He then sat up, quickly, and stared at me, "That's our nation, Wilbur! I gave you my discs for that nation!!"

I sighed, "We're unwelcome in the Dream SMP and we're unwelcome in L'manberg. We're literally in the wilderness now."

"Wilbur, we're banished." Tommy said, staring into the fire.

"We have nothing. We gave up literally everything for L'manberg. We gave up friendships, we gave up alliances with some of the most powerful people in this server. And everything we earned has been lost in one moment." I replied. I wasn't happy, obviously, but I was mostly feeling a little homesick.

Tommy and I spent awhile talking, but he couldn't keep his eyes open so I let him get some sleep. He started snoring, quietly. I watched his chest go up and down, up and down. I was scared but I was happy to have Tommy with me. He's really peaceful when he's tired. Usually, he's super hyper and loud. But when he gets tired, he gets really sweet.

I laid my head on a rock and fell asleep.

The next morning came pretty fast. I felt like I didn't get any sleep. Tommy woke up and rubbed his eyes, "Mornin'."

"Morning, Tommy." I replied, standing up. I picked up the logs from the fire and put a few in my backpack. I then stomped on the grass, trying to hide our tracks.

We left the site and made our way to a lake. It was a small lake, but it was a lake. Tommy pointed at the wall of a hill, "There."

"What?" I asked.

"That's our new base."

I tilted my head, "Tommy, that's a wall."

Tommy sighed, "What's my house, Wilbur?"

"It's... a house?"

"Yeah, duh, but what was it before it was a house??"

I was really confused. I thought he was going crazy, to tell the truth. I stared at him, "Uh...."

"It was a hill, Wilbur. I dug into it and made it into a house. I can do it again. I just need a shovel and a pickaxe." Tommy explained.

I nodded and left to get supplies. I was gone for awhile, leaving Tommy alone. I hid from a few troops and I had to stay in the shadows. There were holes in the dirt popping up everywhere. The civilians were digging, trying to find us. I got some dirt, cobblestone, and some iron.

I made my way back to Tommy. He was carving into some stone, above a door. The stone read, 'Home base'.

I walked beside him and carved in the stone, 'make a house a home'.