Chapter 2: Redfield Farm

September 5th, One

I startle awake. The alarm clock by the bed tells me its 4:15PM. Seven hours of sleep is probably the most I've slept at one time since the book release. In the distance I hear chatter coming from downstairs. I kick my legs free of the blankets and climb out of bed. I wonder if brother had slept at all yet. He hasn't slept in a while either. Knowing him, he probably is out socializing with whoever he can talk to.

Before going downstairs, I run to the bathroom and look at myself in the mirror. The brittle human staring back at me is unrecognizable. The broad-shouldered girl I used to be now looks like a skeleton in comparison. My hair is longer, but the lack of conditioning has made it brittle looking as well. Lack of good nutrition and adequate self-care have taken its toll on me. I decide to let my hair out of the braids for a bit while I'm staying here. I'll leave for the underground tonight I decide. It is safer to travel at night, and this allows for me to hit the majority of underground stops before sunrise each day. The last time I traveled it I was in a car. It'll take me 16 nights of riding to get back to Bec and the original Mutts. Lee would be thrilled to hear I'm still alive. Still a pawn in the rebellion.

I walk down the stairs and is met with seven sets of eyes staring at me. Brother must be sleeping because he's the only one missing from the group. Dak greets me with his signature smile and starts to saunter over. I raise my eyebrow and take defensive stance to discourage him from continuing. He recognizes my body language and stops a few feet away. We need to maintain distance. I look around the room and I make eye contact with two people that I assumed to be Dak's parents. They smile at me, but I can tell from their expressions that they are curious about the interaction that just occurred. Dak clears his throat and I collect myself for the introduction that is to come. I hate meeting "the parents."

"These are my parents. Adri and Ira. They were professors at UR before they were furloughed. Dad was an immunologist, and Mom was a Cardiologist," Dak says as he walks into the kitchen. I shake their hands and smile at them. Dak looks just like his father.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, thank you so much for allowing me to stay here," I say. His mother smiles at me and I can tell a hint of pity is trying hard not to be exposed. I wasn't to be pitied. Everything that has happened to me has been my fault. I should be resented if anything.

"You deserve to sleep in an actual bed after all that has happened to you in the past few weeks. Are you hungry? Your cousin said he caught a rabbit and wanted stew. I made some for him, would you want some too?" she asks, and I nod. She smiles back and turns to dish out some stew from the pot on the stove. How she carries herself, you can tell she's a doctor.

"Your brother is still asleep. He helped set up the barn with weapons before going up and sleeping in Ash's room. We have a couple hours before we set back out for the underground," Dak says before handing over a cup of water. I take the cup and swig down a few gulps of fresh water. Drinking piss warm pond water makes crisp clean water taste like a delicacy. His mother sets a bowl of stew and a spoon down in front of me at the kitchen island.

The smell of the stew makes me suddenly ravenous. Its been awhile since I've had any meat at all. A steady diet of cucumbers and apples have kept me going. Thankfully, our orchard and garden offered us fresh produce. I pity those who lacked homesteading knowledge. Hot food was a luxury. Fire and smoke were not our friend in a time of constant government surveillance. They had a copter visit the property twice a day to check for activity. I think they caught onto the fact that I had survived my apartment getting torched. Must not have found my remains under the rumble. What a shame...

After my second bowl of stew, I hear brother walk down the stairs. He looks better now that he has slept. I think it did us both good to get away from the property. The death and sorrow that filled the air there was consuming, and we weren't getting much sleep knowing our loved ones were buried not too far away. I could never imagine living next to a cemetery. Those vibes are not my cup of tea.