[5- landlords are rude]

GAVIN--------------

GAVIN--------------

"What's our case?" I glance at the tin can next to me sitting perfectly straight like he's the queen of England.

His LED flickers yellow for just a moment. "Our case?"

"We're partners dipshit, that's how it works," I focus back on the road, trying to ignore the sting on my cheeks.

"The victim is named Korbin Sabot, human. His mother, Anne-Marie reported he wasn't feeling well yesterday, went home from a party she was having..."

Anne-Marie.

"ANNE-MARIE IF YOU SLAM THAT FUCKING DOOR IN MY FACE ONE MORE DAMN TIME I WILL BREAK IT DOWN WITH MY BARE HANDS"

"Gav, come here...come here."

"J, what are they fighting about?" I was confused, staring into his eyes before he ushered me into the closet, holding me close in the darkness. We didn't move even when there was silence, especially when there was silence. We knew better.

"Gavin, are you listening?"

"Yeah, fuck-face," I snap back into reality, and the way that Nines is staring at me sends a shiver down my spine. "But say it again, anyway."

"I said he was found dead in his apartment, no traces of anything, no weapon, no blood."

"Who found him?"

"His landlord, this morning at 6 am. They think it has to do with a water issue because he's one of the tenants who wrote a complaint about the water."

"How do we know this is a crime?"

"All of the tenants of the building share the same water source. If he died, they would have all died."

"Would they?" I can't help but raise an eyebrow at him, in which he does the same, though there is confusion in his face. "What's the address?" 

"220 Redmond Street and Hamilton. Up here." 

"I can fucking see," I turn and park on the curb, turning off the ignition and just sitting there for a moment. "Shit, sorry Nines, I'm just...really tired." 

"It's no problem, Gavin." I feel his eyes on me for a moment too long before he gets out of the car. I sit there a moment in the silence, just closing my eyes. Deep breaths, Gav. Deep Breaths. 

It's going to be a long day. 

I get out and close the car door with a little more force than I meant to, shuffling up the stairs after the android. 

Shit, I forgot to refill my prescription! I knew I was missing something! I'll just do it tonight. 

When we reach the guy's apartment, there's already yellow caution tape and I duck under it with ease, going to a forensic squatting next to the dead body. I can't help but notice how goddamn clean it is in here, practically sparkling. 

"A very charming and well-kept apartment," Nines states behind me and I scoff. 

"Of course you'd think that." 

He narrows his eyes in a pointed expression. "What is that supposed to mean?" 

"Look around, Nines. No, really look around." 

"I am," The robot replies with a monotonous tone, his eyes moving across the room with boredom. 

"Don't look with your mind, dumbass," I get an arched eyebrow for that and a parted lip in protest. "You'll never see anything that way. Look with your-" I poke him in the chest, surprised by the warmth beneath the fabric of his jacket. 

"My what?" 

"You're so fucking stupid...god, what do I expect from a tin-can," I mumble, drawing my hand away from him and taking a step further into the apartment. "It's like a ghost town. No pictures or paintings on the walls, no magnets on the fridge, no kinds of decorations of any kind. It's not...normal for someone to have no comfort items. Everyone has something-" 

"Everyone?" 

"-But he...there's nothing. It's like he didn't even live here." I huff and slide my hands in my jacket, suddenly cold. "How did you say he died again?" 

"We're not sure," The forensic says faster than Nines can which seems to tick him off, "But the landlord found him on the floor just like this. There's some shattered glass over there-" She points to a pile marked with a yellow number and I crouch down in front of it, eyes widening with realization. 

"Nines." 

"Detective?" 

"This is a drinking glass." 

Nines seems to get the hint immediately and goes out in the hallway, me trailing behind with a smirk. Just as we step out of the apartment, someone who looks like the landlord passes. 

"Excuse me, sir," The android clears his throat roughly, and neither one of us is expecting the fury when the plump figure whipped around, fury blazing in his eyes. 

"Whatchu two kids want?" He snaps. 

"We're not kids, I'm thirty fucking six years-" But Nines shoots me down with a look. 

"You are the landlord?" 

"No extension on your rent, it's due by the end of the week," The landlord chump sighs and turns around again, but Nines puts a hand on his shoulder, firmly. 

"We're with the DPD. Where does the water to this building come from?" 

"The fuck you think I know that?" The landlord leans forward, baring his teeth like some fat jaguar, his skin pale and yellow from age. "Looky here, tin can, why don't you just run along with your little boyfriend and get lost." 

I lost it. I'm fuming and the little devil in my head has been set ablaze. 

I launch at him, arms flailing. "How dare you call him a tin can! DOES HE LOOK LIKE A TIN CAN! HE'S A LITTLE ANDROID BEBAY WITH FEELINGS AND YOU CANNOT TREAT HIM LIKE THAT!" Luckily for him, Nines is holding me back, arms hooked under mine as I try to attack this guy who called MY partner a tin can. 

"FIGHT ME LITTLE MAN. I'LL TAKE YOU OUTSIDE AND YOU CAN TRY AND CATCH THESE FISTS-" 

"Okay, Gavin, why don't you go wait in the car," Nines sighs as if I've disrespected all of China with my words. 

"Fine," I let out a huff and show the landlord my favorite finger before shoving my hands into my pockets and flopping down in the car.