𝟭

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉

┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉┉

           Tatooine was more barren than Din remembered. The sand and the hills went on for miles. Of course, they always did, but now it was more obvious that there was no one for as far as the eye could see. The line of the horizon was blurry, the blue sky blended with the sand that blew in the wind. There were only a few little wisps of the breeze here and there, but each one was like a breath of fresh air, supplying minor relief with its coolness.

          The planet, on nearly all accounts, was less than desirable. The duel suns made it unbearably hot and left everyone irritable. It's appearance was horrid and wasting away, but it had a few good qualities to it. For example: Myrah was from here. 

           Myrah, a glowing beacon that could shine in even the darkest moments. At least, until she left with no sold reason. Din's jaw clenched at the thought. He was willing to risk everything for her, give her anything in the galaxy and she took off without a second thought. She made him feel like he mattered and watching her leave felt like a shot to the head.

          And he knew a thing or two about how that felt.

         The desert was quiet, a good place to think. The sun was bright and brutal, but it was quiet except for the bike as it sped over the hills. It kicked up sand and caused the wind to blow back the child's large, floppy ears. He squealed and giggled as they flew over the dunes. His bright smile was enough to lift anyone's spirits, especially the Mandalorian's.

          It didn't seem like there was anyone for miles. The land was barren except for the few ridges of beige rocks that only completed the image of emptiness. Din expected nothing, increasing the speed of the bike as he rode through. For the first time in months, he let his guard down. 

         That was his first mistake. 

          In his moment of weakness, he was knocked from the speeder by a trip-wire, sending him and the Child flying into the sand along with all of his belongings. The scavengers made quick work of firing their blasters at Din, each hit clinking off the beskar. 

          "Get the child!" One shouted. The others quickly muttered their agreements in their own languages.

          The aliens each took their own turn battling the Mandalorian. While some managed to land a few hits, it ultimately ended with their own demise. Only one alien was left and while Din was battling the others, it grabbed ahold of the Child, grasping a knife firmly as the blade hovered near its neck. 

          "Wait!" Din quickly clambered to his feet, his hands raised in surrender to the small being. He could've easily taken it down if it weren't for the baby in its arms. "Don't hurt the Child. If you put one mark on him there's no place you will be able to hide from me."