One

~💜~

~💜~

Michelle

I was staring at my phone, staring at my favorite member of BTS. Park Jimin is so incredibly beautiful. His skin looks absolutely flawless. His pink plump lips look absolutely kissable. His hair, in whatever color, is beautiful. How I wish I could run my hands through it without it looking weird.

I sigh as I close my gallery app and put my phone back down on my nightstand and stare at the ceiling of my bedroom.

"Sweetie, dinner's ready."

My mother calls from downstairs, I sigh and get up from my bed. I walk towards my door, look at the BTS poster I have taped on my door for a second and then leave my room.
As I go downstairs, I can smell the delicious dinner my mother has cooked. The smell is filling up my nose as I walk in the kitchen to see my mom placing the plates on the dinner table.

"Hey mom, where's dad?" I ask as I look around the kitchen and the living room. When I look at my mother, she shrugs. I sigh and take a seat, he's probably working late tonight. As my mother has placed a third plate of food in the microwave for my father, she takes a seat across from me at the dining table and grabs her utensils. "Let's eat." She mumbles and I look at the food in front of me, it's a dutch recipe, a recipe that I happen to love. They call it "Stampot", it's basically mashed potatoes with whatever vegetable you like, we chose carrots, with that we have some gravy and sausage. It's delicious and I'm happy my mother is able to cook something typically dutch every now and then.

Before I was born, my father was asked to relocate to The Netherlands and work for the company there and see if he could make it better. During his first five years there, he met my mother and fell in love. After dating for a year they got engaged and another year later they got married. About a year and a half into married life they found out my mother was pregnant with me, they were both ecstatic. By the time I was born, my dad had been in The Netherlands for nearly ten years. Just before my fourth birthday, the company my dad works for asked him to come back to Seoul. Both my parents didn't mind and seeing as I was barely four years old, they both felt they could let me live my life in Seoul - South Korea.
During the time my parents were dating and engaged, he had taught my mom Korean. So by the time we moved to Seoul, she spoke proper Korean and they could still teach me.

At this point, I'm 21 years old, I speak fluent Korean, fluent English and I know maybe a few Dutch sentences. It's not my favorite language, it has a lot of weird sounds and I'd rather just keep it at the two languages I already speak.

"Penny for your thoughts?"

I look up and see my dad smiling at me. I jump up from my seat at the table and wrap my arms around his neck. "You're home!" I exclaim happily and he chuckles and hugs me back. "Yeah, I've been talking to your mom a few minutes now. What was happening in that mind of yours?" He asks with a smile on his face. I chuckle as I sit down. "I was thinking about the Dutch language and how hard it's pronunciation is." My mother laughs at that. "As if Korean is an easy language to learn, took me a couple years before I spoke it fluently." My dad pats my mom on her head and gives her a kiss on the cheek. "Well, our daughter is right. Dutch is a very hard language, you've been trying to teach it to me on and off these past 25 years and I still sound like a foreigner." I laugh. "That's because you are a foreigner dad." He nods and walks into the kitchen, grabbing the plate of food my mom placed in the microwave to check if it's still warm enough to eat. "Well, technically you are of Dutch nationality, but because we raised you in South Korea we could always choose to change your nationality. Only if you want of course." I nod and think about it for a bit.