CHAPTER 6

Here is the new chapter.
Sorry for the long time, the current lockdown in France has kinda stopped my muse for a moment, but now I'm back and full of ideas. I'll try to update soon :).
HUGE thanks to ManuHerz79 for the beta :).

***
Previously in One Hell of a Sting :
Mics have been installed and Jet's dead...
***

After the group fills Dan in on what had happened while he was out playing sound technician, he becomes worried but decides - after many arguing - to continue his interrogation of the neighbourhood as planned to keep up appearances for this case. Once Lucifer is certain Dan is far away enough, he turns towards Ella.

"So, Miss Lopez, how long do you need to deactivate the little buggers? I mean..."

Chloe jumps in before neither Ella nor Lucifer can speak. "We can't turn them off." Her tone is final.

"But...," yet Lucifer tries.

"No buts," Chloe replies. However, she feels the need to justify her refusal as she sees his puppy-dog eyes. "As much as I want to get rid of these," she starts, casting a stern look at Ella as she sees her knowing smile. "For various reasons," she completes and emphasizes this part. "We can't just remove or mute them unless you want an entire squad to break down our door, and potentially explode our cover. And trust me when I say that the minute these devices stop working, Dan will be the first rush in," she finishes, slightly annoyed at the protectiveness of her ex-companion.

"It could always be a malfunction," Lucifer starts. "This way, we neither have to mute nor remove them," he tries, quite proud of the loophole he found.

Chloe rolls her eyes and Ella chuckles. The brunette finally decides to speak.

"Sorry Dude, but Chloe's right," she simply says as her eyes drift to the letter she still holds in her hand, seriousness settling back on her features. "We need to catch these guys. The sooner we do it, the better. And as much as I appreciate Dan, the lesser we have him around, the quicker we'll move forward with the Circle because I don't think they'll be very keen on a cop popping into the house regularly."

Lucifer finally yields to Ella's airtight argument. "Fine...," he replies, slouching a bit.

Ella takes a last look at the letter before she hands it over to Chloe so she can add it to the file kept upstairs in the safe. "I'm gonna try and get some more rest. I need to be on my own for a bit, I think," Ella says as she starts to head for her apartment, visibly unsure.

"Ella," Chloe quickly replies. "You know I'm here for you if you need to talk or anything, right?"

"Yeah, I know, Chlo'." She smiles at her friend. "But right now, I need to process all this on my own and figure things out. I promise I'll come to you if I want to talk." She winks at her. "Besides you and I have an overdue girl talk." She looks at Lucifer and Chloe. "Please let me know if anything new comes around."

Her friends simply nod and Ella walks towards her room to get some needed rest and quiet.

After a moment of silence, Lucifer finally speaks.

"So what's next?" he asks.

"Not sure," Chloe answers honestly. "I figured we could go and check the scene - like probably half of this residence already did - and see if we can gather anything that would help us lift some of the fog we're in at the moment." She grabs the letter to bring it upstairs. "Before anyone else gets hurt," she adds. She comes back a couple of minutes later and gets her purse from the kitchen counter. "Ready?"

"Lead the way, Darling," Lucifer simply says. He chuckles as he sees Chloe grab a bottle of water from the fridge before they leave.

"It's just a water bottle, Lucifer," she answers as she hears his chuckle, smiling herself as her mind drifts back to their short, but intense make-out by the vending machine, despite her best efforts. " Leave it to the Devil to change such a simple object to a hot memory, or in this case, leave it to me, " she thinks, as she reaches for the door.