5

Jaxson still kneeled on the ground, cradling the woman in his arms with a peeved look on his face. The woman in his arms felt like a sack of bones, but she was a powerful thing. She was unlike any creature he had ever witnessed in his life. She could call on nature to assist her when her emotions rose to unmeasurable degrees. She had made friends with the wind sprite and had been able to control it, but as she lay in his arms, there was a sense of helplessness in her features.

Jaxson looked at his sister, anger now lighting up his features.

"What did you do?"

Avalia looked at him with the grey eyes pulsing like a brewing storm.

"She asked about her friend, Xavier."

Avalia felt the wild pull towards the girl, the magical aura pushing against her own. It was a desperate pull, one full of anger and resentment but the woman could not distinguish from which it had come from.

"Who is Xavier Val?" Damian asked coming up behind her.

He had kind green eyes and snaked an arm around her waist. A small smile came across her face at the endearing touch.

"Guys," the groan came Daniel.
He glared at the two, who had been lost in each other's eyes for longer than he deemed necessary.

"Not the time?" Damian questioned with a goofy grin causing Avalia to hit his chest.

"I don't know who Xavier is," she furrowed her brow," she seemed desperate to find him and grew very angry when I said I didn't know. She did say that he was her friend. Could it be someone that was with her in the cells?"

Jaxson tried to think, there was no one else in her cell when they went to find her, but there was the runt she had saved.

"It must be the boy," he mused, still holding the woman in his arms.

There was an eerie silence throughout the room. It held the pensive questions building in each of their minds. The room was filled with a mysterious power. Crawling along the walls, through the carpet, across the tables, and gripping harshly onto their feet. It was traveling up their skin, tickling every nerve fiber, latching desperately along with their chests, and sucking the air right out of them. IT was beginning to take hold of every fiber in their minds, drowning them in fear. A cold, lifeless thing to tear people apart. It took control of their eyes, showing them the things that cause many to dread. What a dangerous game to play, the spirit of fear would hold them all hostage.

The next time Alex would wake up, she would be alone. She had no clue how long she had slept nor was she sure where she was. She remembered what had happened to her, and now she was scared of what was going to happen. Her magic was getting out of hand, controlled by her emotions, that would fly at the slightest whim. She had heard the stories of old from Elaine. They said that they would put down the most powerful witches when they were unable to control their powers. That was one thing that good witches never did, let their emotions affect their magic. Once emotion was given to magic, it was a whirlwind of trouble.

Alex never knew how this would apply to her, considering she was just an experiment and not an actual witch.

The time began to pass slowly, each moment feeling more similar to her time in the cells. The room was nicer and there were amenities to keep her occupied. She had never learned to read so the books were of no use to her. The cross-stitch lay untouched on the chair, for she had never learned how to handle a needle. Stitching up wounds was something her magic could do for her. So, she busied herself with simple parlor tricks. Her mind was afraid to try anything harder, much less leave the room. She had tried the door once and found that it was unlocked, but how does one leave confinement when it is all they know.