Until The Day I Die [Chapter 2]

Within 30 minutes, Brigette finally arrived at her house. It was located at the end of the forest, away from the city. She had inherited from her late mother, Rosalina.

        Brigette quickly took out her keys and unlocked the front door. She ran in and slammed the door behind her. It very late and she was afraid that Death and Ronnie had seen her, or even worse, followed her. Her heart was pounding nonstop in her chest.

        Outside, it began to rain heavily. There was a harsh wind that was blowing against the trees, causing them to make various rattling noises. It would be hard for Brigette to tell if it was a human or just nature.

        This is so strange, Brigette thought to herself. Why didn't he kill me like he did the others? What was stopping him? The police certainly didn't scare him, so why did he run?

        Brigette shook her head and walked upstairs to her bedroom. On the way up, she turned on the lights which brightened the narrow hallway. She walked to the end of the hallway until she reached her bedroom door. She opened it, and was greeted by her cat, Justin.

        "Hello there! How are you, baby? I missed you," Brigette said as she bent down to pet Justin. He stretched himself out and purred.

        "Aw, you missed me? I wish I didn't live all alone out here… If only we had a roommate, right, Jus?"

        Justin stood up and ran over to Brigette's computer desk. He pressed the power button then jumped onto the chair. His large yellow eyes stared at Brigette.

        "You want to watch me go on the computer?" she asked.

        Justin nodded yes, so Brigette walked over to the computer. She picked him up and placed him on the desk next to the monitor. She sat down and opened up her e-mail program once her computer finished turning on.

        Once Brigette signed on, the welcome screen popped up with various highlights on news articles. Out of curiosity, she started to click through them and read the headlines.

        Few articles caught Brigette's interest. The first was about a recipe on how to make a special cake.

        "Alright, I don't bake," Brigette giggled. Justin cocked his head to the right and meowed.

        The next article was about a young boy who was reunited with his father after being held hostage by a convict for 5 months. Brigette's eyes widened.

        "That's… great for the child," she said. Justin rolled onto his side and stretched out, avoiding all the objects on the desk.

        Brigette clicked to the next article. It had a picture of the forest she had just taken a walk through.

        "Justin, look at this!" she exclaimed as she nudged the cat. Justin shot up to his feet and pounced onto Brigette's lap.

        "Listen to this. Around midnight today, Derek "Death" Kroto held a massacre at the endpoint of Acondria. He was accompanied by his partner, Rhonda Muir. This man single-handedly murdered a group of over 20 people using a 9-inch long, 3 inches thick butcher knife. At this time, there has not been a reason discovered as to why he took these actions among these innocent people. Captain Jonathon Anderson, one of our best trained police officers in the precinct, had scared him off after having his men shoot at him. Kroto's current whereabouts are unknown, and more investigations will be held. Be warned, do not leave your house late, nor walk alone. Try to remain in the city, and double lock your doors at night. This article was written by Karen White."