xxxiii. pale moonlight

THIRTY-THREE,
pale moonlight

THIRTY-THREE,pale moonlight

⋆

THERE ALWAYS WAS ONE person Carl Grimes absolutely adored thinking, and talking endlessly about. No, it wasn't his father, surprisingly. Or his baby sister, Judith. Not even Beth, or Michonne — two women who were a very prominent factor in his life.

No, this person, this force in his life, it was none other than Ella Samuels herself.

Now, unlike Ella, Carl had figured out how he felt about her long before she had even considered the concept of having a crush on someone, let alone him. It was at the prison, around the time Patrick, and her father, had been victims of the cell block tragedy. The brunette could remember that day clearly, even after many months, and the unsettling emotion which dwindled in his stomach. A feeling that, obviously, only got worse as time went on.

Carl automatically knew what it was, considering he once had a rather outstretched liking to another girl, Beth Greene. Of course, now, he realized those feelings for her were probably close enough to the definition of 'puppy love'. But, regarding Ella, it was different. Very different.

To put it simply, it was weird. The way she made him feel. Carl had never thought about her in a way like that before, until that particular day in the prison, after their first ever argument. In the beginning of their feud, he was beyond angry with her, and her unneeded support of her little sister. And so, he ignored her. And she ignored him. It was an unspoken agreement in which the two automatically took a part in.

Nevertheless, something changed, the moment Carl saw the look on her face, when her father died.

Carl had never thought about all the things Ella went though, before that. He just assumed, like many others in the prison, she lost her mother. Like he did, too. But, when her father passed, it was then that he truly got to see the amount of heartbreak she endured. And, for some unexplainable reason, that was enough to change this old perspective he once had on her.

As in, the idea that Ella was just another girl, who hadn't the faintest clue about the horrors that waited out beyond their wired walls.

And, honestly, who could blame him?