𝒋𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒚 𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆⌫

Warning contains: sad suicidal thoughts, and has a disorder that people shouldn't be making fun of. If you do not like stuff like this do not read thank you!

I was 7 alone, no one to talk to. I couldn't talk. People hated my voice. To them it was ugly. My parents gave me away. Well I had multiple families but no one wanted to keep me. Everyone knew I was pretty, but it was my voice that was ugly. Or as they say it's ugly. The doctor says I have selective mutism. I can talk to certain people who I'm comfortable with like my friend, but I barely talk to him.

I walked down the halls at school cause the lady at the adoption center said I'm old enough to actually go to school. Like what's that supposed to mean i turn 17 and they said I can leave if I wanted to since no one will adopt me anyways,

The people at school always stared. They looked at me as if I was a flower so beautiful yet very fragile. I got into class. The teacher smiles as I walk in and I ignore it. I know its means to not smile back, but I couldn't. I felt like shit that day anyways. There he is my friend. His name is payton. He met me when I was 12. My foster parents didn't want me so they put me into the care place. The last place I moved to was North carolina. His mom was looking for a dog to adopt and somehow accidentally stumbled upon a kids adoption center. She talked to the lady on where the closest dog adoption center was and little did I know she had a kid with her. He walked up to me and tried to talk to me. The first person who ever just came up to me and smiled like there was nothing wrong.

"Hi," he said smiling widely with dimples showing.

"H-hi," I said quietly.

He just smiled. He didn't notice? I thought

"What's your name?" The boy asked.

My face got red and I started getting shy. I don't really talk to people so why am I talking to him.

"M-my n-name i-is," I pause looking to see his reaction on my voice, but he just waits for me to tell him my name with that smile. Is it fake? I thought once more, "its n-nevy," I say.

"Hi nellie im payton," He chuckles.

"N-no nevy," I smile.

"Oh I'm sorry," He nervously smiles. I just smiled and laughed. I never laugh. Odd.

Sometimes he asked me questions and I wouldn't answer. I didn't talk alot to him at first, but then it felt normal to talk to him after a while. Now we are not close anymore. He's obsessed with his music and has so many friends. I can't relate. He sat next to me in class telling me the same thing everyday.

"D-do I l-look okay?" I ask him. I realize I probably ask him this everyday.

"You're beautiful just the way you are," He responds. He doesn't change his response.

I roll my eyes and smile.

"It's true, don't let anyone change that," he chuckles and then smiles, not caring how the other kids are looking at me.

It felt like hours, but class was finally over and I walked out.

"There she is the girl who can't talk, what are you deaf," The mean girl lily mocks. I roll my eyes walking away. She grabs my arm.