Chapter 5

My body jerked to the pounding of my heartbeat. My eyes darted directly to Hannah standing in front of me from the end of the bed. I saw the tear stains on her face then her eyes became watery again.

"Nixie, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."
Hannah said weeping.

"Sorry? Sorry for what?" I asked.

"You have to tell her Hannah." Ryan said.

"What are you talking about?" I said puzzled.

"It's time you heard the truth about who you are. And I'm so sorry you had to wait until you almost died for me to tell you."

"Tell me what?"

They looked at each other then looked back and told me something I never thought possible.

"Nixie," Hannah began. "You were adopted."

My eyes became huge. I felt my jaw drop.

"I'm adopted?!" I asked in disbelief.

I watched as Hannah's tears began to multiply by the second. Even Ryan shed a tear.

"So what happened to my parents? Are they still alive?" I asked on instinct.

"I don't know. All I remember is that mom came home and she had you in her arms. Then this lady came and killed mom. Right in front of me."

"What? I thought you said mom was killed in a car wreck. You lied to me?"

"Yes, I lied. I was trying to avoid the topic of adoption. I love you Nixie! I was just trying to protect you."

I starred at them while trying to process everything that was told to me. Hannah's face turned red. She was stressed out. She was stressing me out.

"Excuse me." Hannah said running out of the room.

I watched Ryan as he watched Hannah run out. Then he looked at me.

"I'm uh, gonna go calm her down."

"Okay." I said as he left the room.

I sat there reflecting what just took place. Nurses came in and out and I barely even noticed. Ten minutes had passed and a CNA with pink hair came into my room to check my vitals. Her eyes met mine. I felt like I've seen her before. She starred at me. I got up and walked to her.

"Mam?" I said. "Are.... Are you okay?"

"Are, are..." She stuttered. "Are you really Nixie?" She asked.

"Yeah?" I said confused.

She continued to stare at me then shook her head and batted her eyes.

"I'm sorry, it's just that I haven't seen you in such a long time."

"Wait I'm sorry do I know you?"

"Oh my apologies. My name is Marie."

I thought hard. I just couldn't remember her.

"I'm sorry I don't remember you."

"I've known you since before you were born. We didn't officially meet until you were 1 day old."

"Oh," I replied. "Wait! If you knew me before I was born, then you knew my mom right?"

"Yeah I did."

"Do you know where she is?"

She looked at me as she was trying to figure out what to say.

"We'll do you?" I asked.

"Honestly, no I don't know exactly where she is."

"Do you have a pretty good idea of where she might be?"

"Oh yeah."

"Where?"

"Somewhere in the ocean."

What?!" I asked confused.

"Honey you wouldn't believe me if I told you."

"Told me what?"

She got closer to me and looked me straight in the eyes.

"You're a mermaid."

I began to laugh.

"Ha ha! That's the funniest..." I paused to look at the expression on her face.

"You're not kidding are you?"

"No, I'm not kidding."

"Oh this can't be happening. First I found out I was adopted now this?!"

"I know this is a lot for you to take in but...."
"Oh god! I drank too much salt water I'm going crazy!"

"Nixie, you're not crazy and I can prove it."

Marie showed me her legs. She had purple scales starting at her thighs and went down to her ankles.

"Wait... If I'm a mermaid why don't I have scales and how did I almost drown?"

"You could always breathe under water. You just held your breath too long and passed out. It would be the same if you were in a space suit and you thought you ran out of air so you hold your breath and passed out. Same principle."

"Oh, wait what about the scales?"

"Look any questions you have will all be answered. However I need you to help me first."

"With?"

"Even though I don't know if your mother is alive for sure. I do have a strong feeling that she might be."

"Really?"

"Yeah but I need you to go with me."

I thought about Hannah and Ryan.

"Hannah and Ryan rant gonna let me leave with a stranger. What do we do?"

"I have an idea." Marie said. She went out the door for a few mins then came back.

"Okay whatever you do don't move."

"Okay, wait what?!" I asked as she pushed me down onto the bed.

"Look if you want to see if your mother is alive close your eyes and don't move."
I did as she said and went completely still.

I heard doctors rush in to check on me. Staying still however was really hard. They started to preform physical tests to see if I would respond but, I did exactly what Marie asked and I didn't move.

"Let's go ahead and move her to ICU." I heard a doctor say.

I felt them move the bed and we began to move out into the hall way.

"Nixie?" NIXIE!!" Hannah screamed.

"What's wrong with her?!" I heard Hannah scream. Then I heard doors shut.

I laid there in silence then I heard the door open and closed.

"Nixie it's me," Marie whispered. "You can get up now.

"What just happened?!" I asked.

"I told everyone that you were getting worse and to put you in ICU."

"What?! Why. Hannah's probably freaking out! What if they come see me and I'm not here!"

"She will be fine.

"What about the doctors?"

"I can make a replacement you. Like a clone. It will have a heart beat and can breathe, but that's it."

"Yeah but, Hannah..... Her...."

"Her life is in danger. All of our lives are. Only family can be here anyway. She isn't."

"Wait what do you mean all of our lives are in danger?!"

"Come with me and I'll tell you everything." So I followed Marie and we snuck out.