Chapter 8

Two days later Courtney is back in school. When I reach my locker in the morning, Courtney leans against the wall next to me.

"Hey Olivia. I heard you've been all over my boyfriend," Courtney smiles an evil grin.

"That's a lie," I reply.

"Of course it is," Courtney replies sarcastically.

"Courtney, I don't want any trouble. Andrew is lying about what happened," I explain.

"Like I said before, just die already," Courtney smiles and walks away.

Tears well up in my eyes and I want to kill Courtney. I take deep breaths and close my locker. I can get through this. I hope.

* * *

The next day I feel worse than the day before. Andrew is still spreading rumors and Courtney is getting worse. I walk down the hallways and it's about halfway through the day. Courtney approaches me.

"Everyone is now saying you're a slut, Olivia," Courtney laughs.

"It's not true," I reply while trying to stay calm.

"I think you just want to be like Cassie," Courtney smiles.

"What does Cassie have to do with any of this?" I ask.

"She dated Andrew so you want to be just like her and also date Andrew," Courtney laughs.

"You're lying," I reply, "Cassie doesn't like Andrew. She hates him."

"Andrew told me they dated. Maybe that's why she hates him," Cassie giggles and walks away.

I pass Cassie while going to my next class. "Hey Cassie," I say.

"What is it, Olivia?" Cassie replies.

"Andrew is now spreading rumors about you," I say.

"What did he say?" Cassie asks angrily.

"He said that you two dated and that's why you hate him," I laugh. I stop laughing when Cassie looks down at her feet. She forces out a painful laugh. I stare at her in disbelief. Why didn't she tell me? "Why didn't you tell me that you two dated?" I ask throwing my arms up into the air.

"It was embarrassing," Cassie admits.

"What do you mean?" I ask her.

"I met Andrew over the summer last year. I thought he loved me and then he turned on me. He would spread rumors about me just like he's doing to you. I'm sorry, Olivia, I tried warning you," Cassie explains.

"I thought best friends told each other everything," I say harshly. I turn away and walk away from her. I can hear her calling for me to come back. I don't pay her any attention. I feel like someone dropped a bomb on me, except, I don't die. I suffer through the pain. I feel closer to that bridge than I have ever felt before.