Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Deep within the depths of my leather shoulder bag, my cell phone starts to ring and I let out a tired groan as I set my bag on the snow covered sidewalk. As I sift through the endless amounts of papers and debris that have accumulated over the past weeks, I remind myself yet again to buy a smaller bag - the bigger the bag, the more junk you end up carrying around.

“I bet that’s Kayla,” Marcie says, snooping over my shoulder and blocking the light from the full moon glowing high above us. “I bet she changed her mind and decided to come to the movies with us after all.”

There’s a light dusting of snow falling from the street lights, and tiny white snowflakes rest in the ends of Marcie’s tousled auburn hair as we wait in line outside the local theatre.

 “I doubt it,” I answer, blowing away a strand of brown hair that annoyingly escaped my ponytail. “She went shopping with Mom and Dad in Michigan.”

Marcie looks at me completely astounded, like I’ve just told her that her favorite TV show has been cancelled. “They’re going to Michigan, tonight?” She looks almost irritated as she tugs her colorful woolen hat further over her ears. “Why didn’t she say anything? We could have gone with them!”

“It was sort of last minute.” I shrug, sorting through my bag. “Dad has to go to one of those architecture seminars for work, so Mom and Kay only just decided to tag along. They might check out some dresses for prom,” I continue, not making any attempt to disguise the disgusted look on my face. The only thing I hate more than wearing a dress is shopping, and the idea of putting the two of them together turns my stomach.

Marcie shoots me a quizzical look, digging her hands into the pockets of her dark skinny jeans. “Sometimes I don’t understand the two of you.”

“What don’t you understand?” I ask playfully, knowing perfectly well what she’s getting at. While Kayla and I may physically look the same with our long dark hair, pale skin tone and swimmer’s physique, our personalities and interests couldn’t be more different. Kayla’s more of the risk taker while I’m the safety net, anticipating her next move.

Between the two of us, Kayla has always been the outgoing one. Growing up, whenever a new student came to our school or a new neighbor moved onto our street, Kay was always the first to run over and introduce herself while I lingered cautiously behind her assessing the situation. For some reason she likes people to know who she is. Me, I just like to know. I guess I’m more apprehensive about the world than most. I like having all of my questions answered before making my next move, and I suppose most people my age have a hard time relating.

As a senior in high school, my sister likes spending her weekends hanging out with friends and flirting with the jocks. She’s constantly trying to persuade me to go to parties with her and Marcie. Sometimes I succumb to their relentless torment and end up going just to humor them, but I would much rather spend my time curled up on the couch watching a movie or reading a good book, safe from the anxiety of social engagements and pretending to be someone I’m not. It’s not that there’s anything wrong with parties and letting yourself go once and awhile, I just find my contentment in the quiet corners of life, where I can recharge my batteries away from the people who suck them dry all day. On occasion, I catch myself wondering if I’m seeing the world the same way other people do, or even if I’m living in the same one.

Unlike most of the girls in my graduating class, I don’t like drawing attention to myself all for the sake of someone cute giving me a double take. It’s not as if it’s a huge secret or anything, but when it comes to boys, I’ve always felt like I'm part of the audience rather than an actress on stage. I think I’m fearful of relying on someone else – trusting someone else. On the rare occasion I find myself interested in a guy, I normally keep my feelings safely hidden from nosy onlookers as I secretly try to push them away. I figure being in a relationship is just something other people do, people who are willing to take the risk, the risk of letting someone get close enough to hurt you. Sometimes I think that maybe I just haven’t crossed paths with someone I’m willing to take that risk for. I don’t know. All I know is that in my heart, as long as I have my family and my inner strength, then I don’t have to need anyone else.