Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Aaden takes the turn onto my street sharper than necessary, and I have half a mind to think he did it on purpose. In fact, the entire ride home has been nothing but sharp turns, whizzing in and out of cars like we were in a high speed chase. But halfway through the ride, I felt comfortable enough to loosen my death grip around Aaden’s waist and let go; not because he sensed my fear, but because I started to trust him.  The way he leaned into every turn and dodged in and out of traffic felt natural to him and I began to wonder if driving to him, is like swimming to me. On the back of Aaden’s bike, I learned that the race, the heart pumping adrenaline and the drive to move faster are things we both share in common.

Before I know it, we’re swerving into my driveway and I spot Gram’s green Subaru parked inside the open garage where sports equipment and old bikes hang on the walls.

Aaden shuts off the engine and removes his helmet, his tangled hair blowing lightly in the morning breeze. “So…What did you think?”  He twists around and faces me while I unfasten my helmet.   

 To be honest, I loved riding on the back of Aaden’s bike. It felt like I was on a rollercoaster ride and I had no idea what was coming next. It was nice to let go and allow someone else to steer me in the right direction for a change. “I liked it.”  

 “Really?” He grins down at me, surprised, and for a second I smile back. “I wasn’t sure if you would.”  

 “Why?” I quickly remove my helmet and set it on my lap. “Because I’m the quiet, reserved girl who likes to play it safe? I’m not as predictable as you might think,” I snap. My words trail off and I let my head fall forward, wondering if I’ve said too much. “People think they know me, but they don’t. Kayla knows me...knew me,” I stutter, glancing away, never knowing which verb tense to use when it comes to my sister.

 I can tell Aaden’s looking at me from the corner of my eye, like he’s trying to dissect my true self, but I don’t think he’s going to find what he’s looking for. Even if he does stick around long enough to find a tiny flicker of who I am on the outside, I won’t let him get close enough to discover the lost girl trapped on the inside. I don’t want him or anybody else thinking I need to be rescued.

“What?” I ask, finally looking up and meeting his green eyes. I don’t stare directly into them for long since they remind me of the first time they connected with mine. I shudder, thinking back to the night when my family was stolen from me and where nothing made sense. Knowing Aaden was present that night makes me wonder if he knows more about my parent’s death than he’s letting on—that he's hiding something behind that unnerving smirk of his.

“Nothing,” he replies, holding the bike steady while I stagger off just as gracefully as I got on. “I’ll have to show you how to ride sometime.”  When he smiles at me, his eyes sparkle like jade crystals in the sunlight. And just like that, the awkward conversation is washed away and forgotten.

I bet I could outrun all of my worries and frustrations on his bike. “I’d like that,” I say, handing him my helmet and he hooks it on the back of the bike. I don’t know how, but Aaden has a way of making an uncomfortable situation comfortable. With just one look, he erases your thoughts with wanting to know his, and I think that might be what frustrates me the most. 

Under the morning sun, we stand facing each other on opposite sides of the Triumph, and I’m not exactly sure what I’m supposed to say now. He’s just standing there in his faded blue jeans and black leather jacket looking very…well, I don’t know what he looks like, but all signs point to good. I don’t know what‘s come over me, but in the last twelve hours, Aaden has started to grow on me. He’s crept into my thoughts and his face has played behind my eyes during times when I’m not even looking at him. What is going on with you, Anna?