Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Immediately after answering the final question, I furiously pass in my exam and desperately run to the nearest washroom. I can barely stay composed long enough to lock myself in one of the stalls before my emotions spill into the porcelain bowl until there’s nothing left. Sitting huddled on the floor, I wipe my clammy forehead with a piece of rough toilet paper, feeling relieved no one else has entered my place to hide. I sit shivering in the deserted bathroom and cry until my eyes run dry. I cry for my parents who won’t see me graduate. I cry for my sister who doesn’t get to finish high school and I cry for myself who is lost without the people she loves.

A few minutes pass before I manage to pull myself together and walk out into the courtyard to find Marcie furiously texting away on her iPhone. Based on her goofy expression, she’s probably texting Matt, a senior on the boy’s hockey team, and more importantly her new crush. Apparently he asked her to prom about a month ago, and she still can’t believe her good luck. But I can.

“Hey, Marce, how did the exam go?” I ask, sitting next to her and shielding any evidence of fallen tears.

“It’s over,” she says, straight to the point as she tucks her cell in her pocket.

“That bad, huh?”

“Never mind. Whatever,” she says fleetingly, turning towards me. “It’s behind us, and we have other things to talk about.”

“Marcie, I’ve told you before,” I say in a stern voice. “I’m not going to prom.” Frustrated, I get up from the bench and start to march towards the Athletic Center. Marcie gathers her things and jumps up to chase after me.

“I have a dress you can borrow if you want,” she calls out, catching up with me. “And I was talking with Matt, and he said his friend Jared would go with you.”

“What?” I abruptly stop, Marcie practically slamming into the back of me.

“Well, I kind of figured you weren’t going to ask anyone, so I thought I’d do you a favor,” she says sheepishly. “And I kind of heard that Jared likes you.”

I narrow my eyes and stare back at her. She looks startled by my reaction but I need to get my point across. I need her to hear me. Sometimes people don’t hear you until you show them who you are without all the layers.

“I was just trying to help you, Anna.”

“I know,” I stammer, taking a few breaths to calm myself down. “I know you want me to go out and have fun with you guys, but it just doesn’t feel right. Not yet.” I pause, thinking about Kayla and where she is. “I don’t know if it will ever feel right again.”

Marcie steps forward, hugging me close and I can still smell the coconut sunscreen on her skin. “I should have known better than to push you. It was selfish of me. I guess I just miss the old Anna.”

“I miss her, too,” I whisper, releasing her heartfelt embrace. “I just need to find her again.”

Marcie sympathetically nods her head like she understands. “Did you want to grab some shakes at the Bullpen with Matt and me to celebrate the end of exams?”

“No thanks.”I respond, blinking into the sun. Marcie’s been my friend long enough to realize when I need my alone time, and just because I'm not going to prom doesn't mean I want her to feel bad about going without me. “I think I’ll go for a swim before heading home. If I don’t talk to you before tomorrow night, have a great time.”

“I’m going with Matt, of course I’ll have great time!” she says excitedly. “I’ll take lots of pictures.”

“I know you will.” I grin.