Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I have a hard time concentrating the next afternoon at Marcie’s. As I lay floating on a lime green air mattress, I can’t help but think of the promise I made to Aaden. Even after spending the rest of the night thinking it over, I still don’t understand why he asked me to make such a promise, or why it was so important to him.

He didn’t say much when he drove me home in the early hours of the morning, and I found myself missing his disarmingly charming side. His sudden transformation concerned me, but I didn’t dare ask why for fear of losing him all over again. I know when I’m upset, the last thing I want to do is relive the event through conversation.

Through my sunglasses, I look up at the blazing sun being hidden away behind threatening clouds and the series of events reminds me of Aaden. I wonder if he’s all right.

“Anna?” Marcie floats by, splashing me with cool water.  I jerk my head and shoot her a disapproving look. “What’s going on with you, Anna? You’re being awfully quiet.”

“What do you mean? You know I’m not much for words,” I retort.

Earlier, during a pool-side lunch and after an impressive amount of persistence on Marcie’s part, I forfeited and explained everything I knew about Aaden, that is what I could reveal to her about Aaden. I described him at face value and did my best to act casual while pushing any feelings aside. At one point, I felt a smile beginning to inch across my face but I broke out into a coughing fit to save face. While I spoke, Marcie listened intently and it made me feel a little uneasy. This was probably the first time she’s heard me willingly talk about someone from the opposite sex. I tried to keep the story simple but I know I left her wanting to know more about him.

Tomorrow, Marcie and her family are leaving for their summer cottage and I’m ashamed to admit I’m somewhat relieved. Of course I’ll miss her, but I don’t know how much longer I can keep up this charade. I’m hoping our time apart will give me the opportunity to figure out how I’m supposed to tell her I’m not going to U of T in September. She has no idea and I hate myself for letting her believe in something that’s not there.

“I know you don’t always say much, Anna,” she says, floating along next to me on her bubble gum pink air mattress. “You just seem different all of a sudden.”

I consider Marcie’s words and ask myself: Am I different? Have a changed? I feel like my troubled self has been stirred from its dark hiding place and I’m beginning to wake up. I’m beginning to feel like my old self again and I’m having a hard time deciding whether or not that’s okay. I know I can never erase time and go back to who I once was—that Anna died the night she lost her family and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to find her again. Maybe I shouldn’t be searching for the old version of myself. Maybe, the key to acceptance and moving forward is to discover who I am without them. The thought disturbs me: I’m here and they’re not. I still have a whole life to live and they don’t.

“Different how?” I ask, keeping a flat expression. I feel different, good different and I know all too well who is to blame.

“I don’t know. There’s just a light in your eyes that wasn’t there before. I’m just relieved to know my best friend is still in there somewhere.” I smile at her simple honesty as she slides her hand over the water, finding mine.

Holding onto Marcie’s hand, I watch as the grey clouds glide heavily above us and again, I think of Aaden.

Marcie checks the time on her blue Ice watch and groans, knowing she has to be at work in an hour. “What’s the point of owning your own business if you have to work at it?” she whines as we paddle over to the side and climb out of the pool. “I thought the whole point was so you didn’t have to work.”