Balance

CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR "Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker"

Ben felt once again pain run all over his body as he finally grabbed the edge of the cliff.
He managed to pull himself up and stand, trying to ignore the many broken bones that were sending an almost unbearable ache though him.
He tried to focus his gaze on the room that surrounded him, scared to find the source of what he was feeling, or, more precisely, wasn't feeling. As his eyes met her body, he started walking as fast as his conditions allowed him to.

The young Solo kept moving forward, holding his hip, occasionally falling to the ground and pulling himself back up. His broken ribs made his body want to cry, but the only thing that mattered to his mind was the girl lying a few meters  away.
It couldn't be!
He let himself fall next to Rey's motionless body, putting an arm around her back and pulling her closer to take a better look at her: her limbs hung still from her body, her head was slightly bent backwards; her open eyes were staring at the enormous room's ceiling, emotionless and... lifeless.
She was...
He looked around with fear in his eyes, as if to find someone, anyone that could help her...

Desperate, he hugged her, as tears threatened to fall from his eyes. He had never been so close to her before, no matter how much he had wanted to, how many times he had imagined her finally joining him, them being together peacefully without a line between two sides standing between them as well.

What could he do? He cared about her so much, he was willing to do anything to save her, he would have given her his life if only he...
He could. Of course he could!
He backed away a bit, so that he could put his hand on her abdomen, closed his eyes and started transferring his life energy into her, just like she had done with him.
As he got weaker, he started thinking about something his uncle had taught him and the others back when he was training to become a Jedi.

'The Force seeks balance, no matter what. If something is created on one side, the other shall match it. The same thing shall happen when something is destroyed. Just like, when Darth Sidious made Anakin his ally, the Force created two twins to face them. It doesn't matter what side you're on, it doesn't matter wether your intentions are good or evil. There will always be balance.'
And just like that, when Palpatine had died, the Force had taken another life with her to match it: Rey's.
Ben perfectly knew that this meant that he couldn't stay with her... not for more than a few seconds, anyway. But it was fine. She would live, that's what mattered.

Let her live.

He would become one with the Force, but it was fine. It was just right. He had caused so much pain during his life, and this time he was going to save the person he cared about the most, giving her a second chance, just like she had with him.

Let her live.

He felt a wave of relief flow through him, soothing his pain, as he felt her hand touch his. He opened his eyes, and saw her straightening up to look at him, as the tears he had tried to hold back started to flow as tears of joy.
She was there, in front of him, breathing.

"Ben."

She had called him like that many times before, but that was the first time he was going to admit he liked it. For a moment, he had wished for her to call him that a hundred more times; be with him, forever. But it was impossible and he knew it.
She smiled, and raised her hand to gently touch his face.
She looked at him for a moment, before joining their lips in a sweet kiss.
It was a kiss of gratitude, yes, but full of the love that they felt for each other, and had been feeling for a long time, incapable of showing it for they were on two different sides of a war.
It felt incredible.
The Two that are One, finally together... for one last time.

He held her closer, not wanting that moment to ever end.
They eventually parted, and he gave her a warm smile. How long had it been since he had last smiled? He took a second to try to remember, but his mind was getting cloudy.
'I love you.'
That's what he wanted to tell her, but the words couldn't reach his throat.
He felt calm as he fell on the ground, Rey's hand following him, touching the ground as the Force reached out to him.

I will always be with you. He managed to tell her, still conscious as part of the Force; the same Force that had brought balance back once again.

Hello there! Author here. I hope you enjoyed this one. I got the inspiration from a video I happened to see on Twitter where this guy explained the balance thing (I don't know who he was, nor remember who posted it). That made me realize how correct Ben's death is for the plot (That doesn't mean I accept it. At all. #BenSoloDeservedBetter)
Anyway, I don't know how many people are gonna read this, but I should be able to update in a few days (I already have something in mind).

That's all. Remember: there's no Dark Side, nor a Light Side, there is only the Force (Grey Jedi Code).