The Wanted

"I know this that's why I said Daniel and Chris wouldn't dare do a thing like that. If they know what's good for them." I gulped hard.

         "I want you to know you can regain my trust  You do want to regain my trust. Don't you?"

          "Yes, BRUISER, sir," Chris said nervously.

           "Okay then. Here's what I want. Tomorrow morning I want both of you to do a little job for me that involves stealing, fighting, and working your little asses off.  Okay?"

        "Okay, "we both said.

       "Now get out of my office and go help the boys down stairs."

         "Yes sir,"I said. It's probably the only time I'll ever say "sir" in my life.

        BRUISER was more than our boss,  he was like an older brother who we all looked up to. Even if he showed his bad side most of the time. I know deep inside he's a nice guy, and I kinda worship him.

           As soon as Chris and I stepped out of the room people immediately swarmed around us. It was like we were famous. Everybody was wanting to know what happened, why it happened, and how did we survive. Apparently we were the first to live through and talk about BRUISER's wrath. I admit I may have exaggerated a little but it was all worth it. Instead of unloading and stacking boxes all day we were being treated like kings. It was the life I had always wanted, to be important. I was actually a little sad when it was time to leave, but I knew I had to get home before my parents did (which was around twelve p.m.) As I stepped out of the house I realized I was no longer important. Just another juvenile delinquent roaming the streets seeking something more in life, but not getting it. Usual, I thought, usual. Chris and I hadn't talked much on the way home. To much to think about I guess. Chris pulled out a cigarette and lit up.

           "You want a smoke?"

      "No, not right now," I said. "I'm not in the mood."

          "Is there something wrong Daniel?"

           "Yeah, my parents as always.You want to know something Chris? I'm tired of acting like the adult instead of my parents. Sometimes I feel like they get to be the kid and me the grownup."

          "Yeah, I know what you mean Daniel. My stress levels are at an all time high. I'm smoking a half and pack a day. All because of my parents."

               "Well, I can't take much more of it, you can't take much more of it. You know what? I say we run away." It's perfect. We'll run away. Why didn't I think of this before?

         " I would Daniel, but it would never work. Where would we go? What will we eat? We don't even have any money, and besides, what about BRUISER.