Chapter 26

5 Months Later

- Chance

"Baby!" I called from downstairs. I heard footsteps on the staircase and a very pregnant Alexis came around the corner.
"Yes bae?" She said waddling over to me.
"Are you hungry?" I asked grabbing her hips.
"I'm 8 months pregnant, of course I'm hungry." She said putting her hands on my shoulders.
"Want me to go get something?"
"You can."
"Okay, I'll be back." I said kissing her nose.
"I love you." She said.
I just smiled. I got with Alexis about a week after Ryland left me. I never told Alexis I loved her back. Because I didn't. I know that sounds harsh. But why feed the girl lies? I walked out to my Range Rover and hopped in. I hooked my phone up to the audio player via Bluetooth and started playing 'On My Way' by Rich the Kid and Bobby Shmurda. I pulled up to Zaxby's and got out. I walked in and my blood started to boil. Ryland was here, with another nigga. I immediately got pissed. I walked over and stood next to her.
"He'll never be me Ryland, remember that."

- Ryland

"He'll never be me Ryland, remember that." I heard in my ear. I looked to my left and Chance was standing there. I kissed my teeth, just as Zayne was turning around with our tray of food.
"How's the baby? Since you don't want me at any of the appointments." He said looking down at my big belly. I started rubbing my stomach and said, "She's fine."
"It's a girl?"
"Ryland, you okay?" Zayne asked, noticing the frustration on my face.
"You wanna introduce me to your friend?" Chance asked.
"Uggg. Chance this is Zayne. Zayne this is Chance."
"Hmmm, I'm finna go sit down Love." He said. He let out a chuckle while sizing Chance up and The veins began to pop in Chance's neck.
"I guess we'll see you later." I said, turning around to follow Zayne.
"Yeah, you will ma." Chance said winking at me. Why did he have to be here? Uggghhhhh. Fuck my life. I pulled my chair out and sat down.
"You okay Love?"
I love when he calls me that. I immediately started smiling.
"Yeah, I'm fine."
"So who is that cat?" He said handing me my chicken strips and fries.
"That is Chance. Keegan's dad." I said hanging my head.
"That's the fuckboy that left you? I thought you said his name was Grimm?"
"Grimm is a street name."
"Oh." Was all he said. He grabbed my hand and looked in my eyes. "Ry, you know I'm feeling you, right? Why won't you give me a chance ma?"
"Because, regardless of the he treated me, or what he did, I still love that dick head. And plus, I'm eight months pregnant with his baby, and I don't wanna burden you."
"You wouldn't burden me Love." He said rubbing his thumb on my index finger.
"I just think it's best if we remain friends."
He looked kinda hurt, but he just smiled and said, "Thanks for being honest Love."
I leaned over and kissed his cheek. He just kept on smiling.

- Alexis

I was sitting on the couch watching Law & Order: SVU, when I felt a sudden urge to pee, I got up and went to the bathroom in the back and pulled my pants down. I peed and went to wipe myself, catching sight of dark red blood.
"Oh my god." I said panicking. I wiped myself, put on a panty liner, and went back in the living room. Chance still wasn't here so I called him.
"Baby, I'm bleeding from down there. I'm finna drive myself to the ER." I said as a sharp pain kicked in on the lower right side of my abdomen.
"Okay, I'll meet you up there."
"Okay baby." I winced out.
I grabbed my keys and headed out.

45 Minutes Later

- Chance

I pulled into the parking lot at Saint Rose Hospital. I ran through the double doors straight to the reception desk.
"Alexis Monroe?" I asked the lady.
"She was just wheeled into the labor room. The waiting room for labor is on the 8th floor."
"Thank you." I said leaving the desk. "Please let her be okay?" I silently asked God.

Three Hours Later

I sat in the waiting room and when I looked up I saw Ryland walk, well waddle, through the door. I called her because I didn't know who else to call. I went and hugged her. She wrapped her arms around my neck.
"How is she doing?" She asked me once we parted.
"I don't know, nobody's told me anything."
Just then, doors to the delivery area swung open.
"Family of Alexis Monroe."
"That's us." Chance said. We walked over, and the doctor kinda held his head low. "How's the baby? When can I see Alex?" I questioned.
"The baby is fine despite him being born two weeks early, but, uhh. The mother lost," he cleared his throat, "she lost a lot of blood son. She didn't make it."
My body got numb, I collapsed. Then everything went black.

- Ryland

Chance passed out after he heard the news of Alexis passing away during labor. They brought him to a room for treatment. I haven't left his side. He's been out for three hours. A knock came on the door. It was the doctor that gave us the news, he was holding the little guy.
"We need a name for him."
"Ohh, I don't know what they were planning to name him."
"Here, get acquainted. I'm gonna bring his cart in." He said handing me the baby. Keegan must've sensed her brother because she started going crazy. I rubbed my belly and said, "Yes, this is your brother." I let out a chuckle. I looked at baby boy's face. He looked just like Chance, but had Alexis' nose.
"Hey there little man."
The doctor rolled in his cart and left once again.
Chance started to stir in his sleep. Soon after, he sat straight up. He had an oxygen mask on, and he was shirtless. He pulled the mask off and looked at me.
"Chance, that isn't supposed to come off yet." I said. "Put it back on." He didn't argue with me, he just put it back on.
"What's his name Chance?"
"I don't know." He shrugged. "She never told me what she was planning to name him."
"Oh." Was all I said. I started tickling baby boy's belly, and he smiled the cutest toothless smile.
"Can you name him?"
"Chance, no. This is not my baby."
"So what? He doesn't have a mom now."
I just looked at him.
"I still love you Ry. His mom used to tell me every chance she got that she loved me-"
I cut him off, "I don't wanna hear that shit Chance."
"I never told her it back, because I still love you. And it didn't once cross my mind that you didn't still love me."
I started tickling baby boy again because he was right.
"So what are you trying to say?"
"Even though his real mom is in heaven, he still has one here. I want you back Ry." He said with pleading eyes. He let a few years escape. I got up and placed baby boy in his cart. The. I walked over to Chance and kissed his forehead.
"You never lost me."
"I love you Ryland."
"I love you too." I said wiping his tears away. "I love you too."

- Truth Is | Fantasia