Chapter 46 - Hummingbird Heartbeat

Blaine and I headed down the hallway together, walking to my locker. "Are you sure Ryder won't mind that you're going with another guy?"

"Well, I'm going to ask him, too. It's a triple date." I laughed. 

I felt a pair of arms around my waist, and a pair of warm lips on my cheek. "Hey, Ryd!"

"Hey there, Marley," Ryder whispered in my ear, "and hey Blaine!"

Blaine gave him a nod and a smile.

"Ryder Lynn," I turned around in his arms and wrapped mine around his shoulders, "I want to ask you something." He had an eager look on his face as I spoke - he knew what was coming. "Would you like to go the Sadie Hawkins dance with me?"

"Yes, of course-" Ryder begun. 

"There is one condition, though." Ryder raised his eyebrows, and asked me what was going on. 
"Blaine is coming with us, so you'd kind of be sharing your date..."

"Oh! Yeah, that's fine!" Ryder spun me around and then dipped me, and I screamed. "I'll go to the dance with you, Miss Marley Rose." We laughed and shared a soft kiss. 

By the time we had pulled away and I was standing up straight again, Blaine was gone. He had probably left for Glee club. I grabbed Ryder's hand to take him there, too. We swung our joined hands with every step. 

From the corner of my eye, I caught Ryder staring at me. "Do I... have something on my face?" I wiped at my skin with the back of my hand. 

"No, I was just mesmerized by your beauty," he sighed. 

I glared at him, and we both broke out into laughter. 

"No, but you do have a bit of paint on your cheek."

***

We were the last ones to the choir room, the whole group there - except for Finn, of course. Ryder dragged me to our usual spot at the front, wrapping his arm around my shoulder once we had sat down. 

"Are you sure you're okay with me taking Blaine as well as you?" I asked him again, digging my chin into his chest. 

"Of course, it's all right. I understand," he smiled, "you're such a beautiful person."

Finn stormed into the room, clapping his hands together to gather our attention. "The Sadie Hawkins dance is in a week and a half, and we, the New Directions, have been asked to perform!" Finn shouted, writing Sadie Hawkins on the board. "We need to make a list of songs! Any ideas?" He looked around the room for our suggestions.

Kitty's hand shot up. "I have a song, but I'd need to perform it to give it the justice it deserves. My voice is a gift, accept it." She sashayed down the steps and over to the band. 

"Go ahead," Finn nodded to himself, sitting down beside me. 

Kitty assumed a sexy pose in the middle of the choir room, and the song began to start. 

I recognized it immediately; Hummingbird Heartbeat by Katy Perry. It wasn't played on the radio very often, as it had been deemed "inappropriate". 

Kitty:
You make me feel like I'm losing my virginity

Finn gasped as the first line left her mouth, and Ryder and I burst out into laughter. I knew this was going to be a wild ride. 

The first time, every time when you touch me
I make you bloom like a flower that you never seen
Under the sun we are one buzzing energy

Let's pollinate to create a family tree
This evolution with you comes naturally
Some call it science, we call it chemistry
This is the story of the birds and the bees