Chapter 26 - Sleepover a la Grease

That night the cast were getting ready to go on stage, putting on our costumes and doing our hair and makeup, getting excited for the show ahead of us. I tried to put on my costume but my skirt wasn't fitting around my waist - so I had to get Tina's help. 

"I swear this fit yesterday!" I said as Tina tried to secure the skirt on my waist. 

"Listen, just suck in and hold it!" She encouraged. She tried again, but it wouldn't button up. 

I was beginning to get slightly panicked that it wasn't fitting, so I took it upon myself to try and do it up again. "Damn, I... I swear it's the right size... just..." I stuttered nervously as my fingers fumbled with the button.

Tina sighed and put a hand on my shoulder. "Maybe it's stress bloating! I get it all the time." She then waved her hand and gave me a smile, then giving my skirt another shot. 

I don't think so. 

Sugar and Brittany came up to the two of us and excitedly blabbered on about something irrelevant - I was panicking too much to actually listen. They were both dressed in their new costumes. 

Tina got all excited with the two of them and then proceeded to let go of my skirt. I rolled my eyes and grabbed onto it to keep it around my waist. I looked at myself in the mirror and suddenly felt horrible. 

"I promise I won't pee in it!" Brittany said, sounding hopeful. She spun around in a circle and readjusted the yellow scarf around her neck. I just laughed. Brittany always made me feel better. 

"I'm here for my fitting!" Kitty's voice sang from behind me. I spun around and watched her strut towards us, her Patty Simcox outfit under her arm. She looked so smug and it made me feel pretty terrible again. 

"Uh, I thought you quit because your part was too small," Sugar mumbled. 

"No, Hawk-Nose. Shakespeare once said, There is no small parts, only fat actresses."

I unintentionally made a sharp turn in her direction as the comment left her mouth.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I just say fat? I was distracted by Marley's noticeable weight gain." 

The world slowed down for a second as I turned back around. Did she just say I had put on weight? Did she call me fat? It was like a few knives into my back. And the fact that my skirt wasn't fitting just made it all so much worse. I tried to ignore her, but then she made another comment; "I'm confused... are you playing the lead in Grease or Hairspray?" 

"I-I haven't eaten any differently..." I mumbled, my fingers starting to shake as I pulled the skirt on me. I was trying not to let it get to me, but the words circled around in my head. I was still getting over my bulimia from years ago, and even after all these years I hadn't been eating as much as I should. Was I just naturally fat and ugly?

I put on a brave face and gave a smile at my reflection. "Suck in and hold!" Tina shouted at me. 

At that exact moment, Jake walked past and gave me a concerned look. Had he heard everything that had gone on with Kitty beforehand?

"Okay, girls, we got it!" Tina shouted, taking a step back. The skirt, although tight, was done up around my waist. It was a tight squeeze and it was a struggle to breathe, but I gave a thankful sigh. I hoped my skirt wasn't going to pop open and fall off mid song. 

"Okay, ladies and gentlemen!" Artie rolled past us, checking on all the cast. "It's time to go!" 

***

Friday.

The day of Kitty's Grease themed sleepover. 

To say I was excited was an overstatement. I was not excited in the slightest, but I couldn't leave Unique alone with Kitty. So there I was, walking to Kitty's house with an overnight bag. Was I really going to do this?