Chapter 41 - Stay, Stay, Stay

The snow had finally begun to fall - heavier than I had expected. The only bad part about the snow was how cold it was, meaning I had to rug up. A part of me didn't really mind, though, because it gave me an excuse to cuddle up with Ryder while walking with him.

Ryder slid up behind me as I stood at my locker. "Hey there," he whispered in my ear, wrapping his arms around my waist. He gave me a quick kiss on the cheek and turned me around, holding out a red box in his hands. It had a red ribbon on the top, messily wrapped in Christmas paper.

"Hi..." I grinned. I couldn't take my eyes away from the gift - could it have been for me?

Ryder blushed bright red as he put the box in my hands. "It's a bit early, but Merry Christmas." I stared down at the rectangular object in my hands. It felt weird - usually my presents were a few new clothes or a packet of those nice smelling markers I adored, because mom never had the money. This was a change, and I felt like I was going to cry. "Open it!"

I laughed and ripped the top square of paper off the box, peeking into the wrapping. "Ryder... I...I can't have this..." I stared down at the words peeking out of the paper in awe. It was a bottle of Taylor Swift perfume - Wonderstruck, Enchanted. I lowered my voice. "Ryder, why'd you get me this? It's like... seventy dollars."

Ryder smiled and ran his hand through his hair. "I know it's a bit expensive, but the reason I bought it for you is because 'I was enchanted to meet you'." He smirked. God, he was quoting Taylor Swift songs. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

"That's so lame." I giggled.

"No, in all seriousness - think of it has a good luck present, as well, for the Taylor Swift songs we are performing at Regionals! No doubt, you'll get a big part, and you can spray this on before the song to fit the part. So, that's all yours now." He snatched it from my hands and put the box in my school bag, zipping up the pocket for me.

I jumped on him the second his hands were free, wrapping my arms around his neck. "Thank you so much..." I whispered, squeezing him tighter. I buried my face in his shoulder. I wondered if he could feel my heart thumping in my chest.

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. "Ryder, I... I haven't been able to get you anything."

"Hey, don't even worry about it." He shrugged, moving his hand down my back until it rested on my waist. "Being able to spend Christmas Eve with you is the best gift I could ask for." He laughed.

I stared at him. "You're so cheesy..." I looked off down the hallway. Getting him nothing wasn't enough - I needed to do something for him. "Ryder, meet me in the auditorium at lunch."

"Uh, why?"

"I have my present for you there!" I smiled before running away from Ryder and down the hall to my class, leaving him standing idly in the middle of the hall, confused.

***

"...and the snow should fall probably near the beginning of the song, maybe when the chorus hits and the beat picks up." I instructed the AV team, who had gladly decided to help me out as practice for the drama club's Christmas play. "And... Brad!" Brad the piano player sat on his usual stool, a blank expression on his face. "There isn't much piano in this song, but the sheet music is here anyway..."

"Marley Rose!" Ryder called, running up the steps, onto the stage. "What's up?"

"Stop walking right there." I put my hand out in front of me and he stopped right in his spot. It made me laugh, the deer in the headlights look on his face. "So... you got me the most amazing present, and I just needed to return the favor. But as you know, we are short on money. I thought I should sing you a song... and don't worry, I know you'll know it." I smirked.