4. How It Went

» Word count: 3,964 «

Out of impulse and to his better judgement, he went to confront Schlatt. The button, his hand guarding it in his pocket, was a threat he wanted so badly. Everything replayed in his head, an act he had seen so many times he knew how it went. Tommy had Tubbo now, he had Techno’s and Dream’s help. He could do it, he could press the button and it would bring an end to it all. If he couldn’t have it, he didn’t want Schlatt to have it, so no one would have his precious L’manburg. That confrontation, it pushed him to a new edge. His smiling face, unbothered and careless. He hated his guts, his everything. His return was a mistake. Just a press of the button and it could all end.

And he was about to.

Until he saw him.

Fundy, his son, the most precious person in his world, standing there; not belonging. The suit, formality was never his style, with a tie he wanted to take away. He froze in place, wanting him to look back. For just a moment, only a moment to let him know that things would be alright. A little beam of hope, a ray or something, whatever, anything. He just wanted his son back, L’manburg didn’t matter on those days.

Schlatt took pride in his silence, and he wanted to punch him. Seeing Fundy whisper something he couldn’t hear, the urgency in his actions was the tipping point. Schlatt turned, stopping shortly to wait for him. He stared at his son, pleading him to not go, his heart breaking when he saw him hesitate. He wanted to go after him, hold him like he used to do when he was little, tell him that he was there for him, that everything was going to be alright. But he couldn’t, he wasn’t, and things weren’t alright.

Watching their backs, Schlatt’s arm around Fundy’s shoulders, becoming smaller in the seconds dragging into eternities. Tommy finally spoke up, throwing some choice words at them and everything. Tubbo tried to calm him down, words he wasn’t listening to. Quackity and Techno were quiet like usual, examining the situation. After what felt like forever, he glanced to where Dream was and saw him gone. A total mess.

He wanted it all blown up.

A week had passed since that incident, everyone was tense. Every sound made them jump, and every word was studied to dust. Dream had stopped by, a meeting with himself and Techno. Their talks were usually composed, calm and calculated. That time they weren’t. They were screaming at each other, yelling things out of desperation and threats filled with the need of destruction. Each had their soft-spot, their needs, and their wants. And for the first time since their agreement, they finally disagreed with something. Dream called it a day out of desperation, leaving the place storming. Angry as they were, they knew Dream would never sell them away. At the end of the day, overall they had the same goal.

Techno sighed, frustrated. He, too, called it a night. He wished Wilbur a goodnight, not having any more energy to interact with anyone. He just wanted sleep, no talking or thinking.

Wilbur leaned on the wall, sliding down it. He looked down, staring at the ground so still and cold. Everything was going wrong, and each day became worse. Everyone went to bed, catching a much needed sleep, except for him of course. His bangs fell in front of his face when he pulled his beanie out, the breeze cooling his head. He scrunched the beanie, the warmth cooling too soon on his hands. There was nothing in his head, just a need to bring an end to it all. It hurt until he was numb to it. At that point, only Fundy could break him further.

When the sun came out, he was frozen in place. The light was bright, and he looked up; blinded by it. He stared at it, mesmerized by it until a silhouette blocked it. He couldn’t make out who it was, looking made his eyes hurt. So he turned away, rubbing his eyes. Moving his body hurt, maybe because he spent all night and dawn just sitting down in that spot.