9. Comfort...

» Word count: 1,946 «

The moon was giving everything a soft glow. He couldn’t help looking at his hands, dirty from dirt and whatever else he was doing that night. He was too tired to remember, probably something to do with building or breaking. The subtle blue glow was so pretty. He smiled at it, his face having forgotten what happiness was.

Knocks on the door broke his trance, the urgent call of a familiar voice rang. The door swung open, Quackity standing on the other side. He stared, the glow making him look so pretty and highlighting his miserable state.

His house wasn’t designed for more than himself, although he could have arranged something but there was no motivation to build anymore. And he didn’t want to let him sleep on the couch. So after crafting a bed, and moving his own, he placed the bed in his room. It would have to do, not like they spent a whole lot of time in the house anyways.

Or that’s what he initially thought.

He didn’t mind Quackity staying over. Whatever for his friends. He had two shoulders to cry on, for anyone that may need it. Quackity needed it, so his stay was the last of his worries. However, it became alarming that his friend was spending a little too much time inside. Not like there was anything to look forward to, that he knew of anyways. Still, it would be nice to get him out of the house sometimes. Last thing anyone needed was another shut-in, and really, it didn’t help with morale.

“Take a walk with me,” he murmured quietly. Quackity looked up from the window, looking so tired even if he knew he hadn’t done anything. It was depressing, and it hurt to see him like that. “Please? Some fresh air will do us good, I promise.”

Reluctantly, Quackity agreed. He was thrilled, and he kinda failed to hide that away. He left him to freshen up, putting something together for breakfast. It was a little over four months, two weeks since he talked to Tommy. He didn’t go through with what he promised, fear pulling him back the second he was about to confront anyone. It was anxious to do nothing, yet doing anything made things worse. And how could he bring it up to Quackity, especially when he saw him wearing clothes that were not sleep-wear after so long. He couldn’t.

“I don’t feel hungry…”

“Just take a bite… I’ll get you some treats from the village! Please?” He smiled, but calmed down later. He grabbed the back of the chair, a little anxious about it. He perked up when Quackity hesitated then sat down, picking at the food a little. The smile from his face was drowned away, or he tried to at least.

They ate, with Karl giving a little filler chat. He talked about other things from the DSMP, even some about L’manburg. There weren’t many details about the search, nor that he should mention any of that. When they were done, Karl quickly put things away to wash later. He grabbed Quackity’s hand, gently pulling him out.

Niki jumped a little, looking at Fundy then at her hand. She saw his hand, holding her own. It was comforting, a touch she didn’t realize everyone resulted to at the end. That very morning, when she walked to H’s place with Eret, Tubbo and Tommy who stayed with them. It was an instinctive reaction, to hold someone’s hand to feel safe. Eret didn’t mind.

She gave him a gentle squeeze.

The day was good, a little windy but good. Alright for a walk. He stayed by his side, taking in the peace of the morning. He hadn’t had time to see anyone, but taking care of someone he cared about was worth it. They could take it slowly, there was no rush for instant change. After all, everyone was grieving too.

“How are you feeling?” He asked softly.

“Tired… I don’t know…”

“Do you want to rest?”