Chapter 16

AnnaBeth's POV

I walked towards them quietly and I ended up staring at them. What do I do now? I thought. I didn't feel like interrupting them but I wanted answers to why he's making out with her. I noticed that things were getting heated up between them and I went to get Adam's dad who was in the kitchen putting grilled cheese sandwiches on a plate.

"Uh Adam is making out with AnnMarie and it looks like their gonna have-"

He cut me off by saying more to himself than to me, "Adam better not do that."

Then he went out and I heard him yelling at Adam and I heard the front door slam shut which I guess AnnMarie leaving. There was the sound of Adam and his dad arguing and him running upstairs and a door slamming shut. Then there was silence and I suddenly felt out of place in the Young household. And I never did get my answer about why AnnMarie was here. Randal came back in and he was frowning.

"Not to be weird or anything but I wish Adam would've been making out with you. AnnMarie has made Adam different," he said.

"How'd she make him different?" I asked

Randal sighed. "It's too hard to explain," he said, "anyways. It's late. I think your cousin is waiting outside for you."

I figured my cousin Chris texted Adam's dad and I thanked him for telling me. I glanced at the clock and I saw that it was ten past seven. Wow, I thought, I've been here for a while. Then I looked at Randal and said,

"It was nice seeing you again."

"Yeah. I'm sorry about Adam," Randal said, "and you'll get answers about AnnMarie tomorrow. I'll make Adam tell you."

I told him that won't be necessary but he insisted. I didn't argue and I went outside to Chris' truck. I got in and he hugged me.

"How'd it go?" He asked while running his hand through his jet-black hair.

I sighed and I told him everything the whole way home.

Adam's POV

I paced back and forth in my room muttering to myself. Thanks to AnnaBeth, I'm grounded for two months now. Why did she have to tell on me? I thought angrily it's not like...I stopped mid-thought when I heard a tapping noise on my window. I rushed over and I saw AnnMarie standing in the yard with a backpack on. A smile spread accord my face as I ran to my closet, grabbed a backpack, and I stuffed clothes in it. I already had put snacks, money and other things in there. Once it was packed, I zipped it up and I left my phone on my desk. I put a ball cap on and I quickly wrote a note my dad and one to AnnaBeth. Then I opened the window and without a second thought, I went out and a few minuets later I joined AnnMarie on the ground. She smiled and she kissed me.

"Ready?" She said.

I looked back at the house. I felt bad for leaving my dad and my dog and AnnaBeth behind but I wanted to run away. I looked back at AnnMarie and I smiled.

"Ready as I'll ever be," I replied.

Then we ran down the street away from my old life.