Chapter 4

Cádiz, Spain
1692 C.E.

Silvia de Cadiz turned away from the sight before her and pushed through the crowd, making her way to El halcón muerto.

The tavern was more chaotic than she'd expected. The noise almost made her head spin.

Groups of men sat at tables, some of them speaking quietly among themselves.

There were others, much louder, yelling out nonsense. She looked around, searching for the face that had promised her freedom. Promised them freedom, her disguised self and her unborn child.

"You must be Sylvius de Cadiz," a voice said from the table she was standing next to, "How old are you, son?"

"I am 19, sir." She replied, observing the man before her. His face half-hidden by the large hat on his head was covered in freckles and scars. Even seated, she could tell he was tall. Probably in his middle age.

"Ever sailed before?"
"No, sir. This would be my first time."

He gave her a once over before nodding at the man seated opposite to him and walking out.

The other man stood up, "The name's Pintel. That was Captain Barbossa. Welcome to the crew, mate. The Cobra awaits."

The Black Pearl, Docks, Port Royal
1710 C.E.
Night

"Captain Barbossa, I have come to negotiate the cessation of hostilities against Port Royal." She announced, proudly.

The Captain appeared amused, almost grinning as he spoke, "There were a lot of long words in there, miss, and we're not but humble pirates. What is it you want?"

"I want you to leave. And never come back." She stated.

The pirates laughed at her words.

"I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request. Means 'No.'" He added helpfully.

"Very well," She removed the medallion from her neck and rushed to the side of the ship, gripping it in her hand as she suspended it over the rail, "I'll drop it," she warned.

"My holds are bursting with swag. That bit of shine matters to us. Why?" He asked, testing her.

"It's what you've been searching for. I recognize this ship; I saw it eight years ago on the crossing from England." She said.

"Did you now?" Barbossa inquired.

Elizabeth was exasperated, "Fine. Well, I suppose if it's worthless and there's no point in me keeping it-" She lets go of the medallion,

The reaction is immediate, almost all the pirates on the ship rush towards her as Barbossa yelled out, "No!"

The medallion was still with her, dangling by the chain. Elizabeth smirked triumphantly.

"You have a name, missy?" He asks, approaching her.

"Elizabeth," She stopped herself from saying 'Swann' before deciding on, "Turner." She managed to get it out convincingly, "I'm a maid in the governor's household," She curtsied.

Captain Barbossa turns around, "Miss Turner," he said, causing the rest of the pirates to begin whispering around them, "How is it that one such as yourself has come to possess one such trinket? A family heirloom perhaps?"

"I didn't steal it if that's what you mean."

"Very well, you hand it over. We'll put your town to our rudder and ne'er return."