The Trade

Once the woman was gone, Anna looked over the tray. Her stomach revolted at the thought of food, but her gaze snagged on a teacup. It was already filled with lukewarm tea, so she doubted it would be great, but it was better than nothing. Tea always helped to calm the nerves, right?

Even though her hands were trembling, she managed to lift the cup and looked into the contents. Despite not trying to, her gaze still caught on the reflective surface of the liquid in the cup. It wasn't clear enough to show details, but the gauze covering half her face didn't need to be detailed. The reminder of her situation once again had her in a near panicked state, and she didn't feel it as the cup slipped from her nerveless hands.

She was jerked from her panic with the sound of shattering ceramic and the splash of lukewarm liquid all over her front. She looked down and immediately started crying. It wasn't that she was hurt, or even that she had made a mess. She didn't even know how to start handling this. Could it have all really happened? Did she really see the Truth?

With that last thought, Anna shakily started to gather together the pieces of the broken cup. There was one sure way to try and verify her sanity. To see if the random stuff still floating in her head was what she thought it was.

Once she had all the pieces together, she wiped at her good eye to clear her vision. She then shakily put her palms together. As soon as they touched, she felt a jolt pass through her, and her breath caught. Still, that wasn't proof. Her hands were shaking so bad she wasn't sure she could make it connect, so she grabbed her right wrist with her left hand as she touched the pieces of the cup with her forefinger.

She choked on a scream when the jolt she felt rushed out of her and into the pieces. It was less than a second, and the cup stood whole once again. Anna buried her face in her hands at the sight of it while she tried not to let her sobs break her.

She wasn't sure how long it was later, but her crying was interrupted by a cheery male voice. "Hey, now, haven't you heard that pretty girls aren't supposed to cry?"

Anna's head jerked up, and her one good eye popped open in disbelief at the man she saw standing there. She didn't even realize she had moved until his face showed his shock. She had jumped out of bed and was pressed into the corner as she shook her head. "Impossible. This is impossible."

The man slowly came around the side of the bed with his hands up. "Easy now. You don't have to be afraid. I promise we're here to help. I just need to ask you a few questions."

Both of their attention was drawn to the door when a sharp voice called out as two people entered. "Hey! Colonel Bastard! Quit making me chase you around town. You told me to meet you this morning and then you ain't in your office. What the hell!"

"Not now, Edward." The man had spoken over his shoulder through gritted teeth, but his attention was jerked back to the woman when she started to speak. He didn't think she realized she was speaking aloud as she was focused on the two boys.

"Roy Mustang, and the Elric brothers. What the hell. How? Oh god. A little trip? A little trip, my ass. How in the hell did I wind up in Amestris?'

Throughout her panicked ranting, Anna had been watching the boys. Particularly Edward and his right arm. Every time her gaze would drop to his arm, her hand unconsciously went up to her eye, and she shook her head. None of this went without notice, at least to one of the others.

Edward grabbed his brother's arm and pulled him back to the door. "Alphonse, let's let the Colonel handle this." He paused and raised his voice. "We'll meet you at your office later."

Roy wasn't sure what made the kid wise up, but he wasn't going to complain. He nodded to him before he focused on the girl again. Her eye was still wide, and she was still shaking, but she was focused on him once more. He tried to give her a smile to ease her nerves. Whatever this was about, he had no doubts that this woman had more to tell him than just what she saw the night before. Recognizing him on sight was one thing, but the Elrics was another thing altogether.