Chapter 5

The goblet of fire was placed in the entrance hall and each time I saw someone put their name in it, my heart clenched and a guilty hope surfaced in me, wishing it could be them who was selected rather than Cedric.

Fred and George came through the great hall with a triumph smile on both of their faces and I rolled my eyes.

"Go ahead, do it then," I said to them.

"We will, little one, we will," they said in unison as I rolled my eyes.

They walked to the goblet and dropped their names into it. I smirked when they were hurled out of the aging line and onto the floor, white beard sprouting in their faces. I burst out laughing.

I walked towards them and crouched to their height. "Hello, big ones. Nice try"

I said and stroked their beard, still grinning widely.

The next morning I entered the great hall to hear Dean say, "There's a rumor going around that Warrington got up early and put his name in, that big bloke from Slytherin who looks like a sloth."

"We can't have a Slytherin champion!" said Harry.

I looked at him in disbelief as I sat down next to (BF/N)

"And all the Hufflepuffs are talking about Diggory," said Seamus, "But I wouldn't have thought he'd have wanted to risk his good looks."

I narrowed my eyes at him and thought, 'Stupid fellow'

"Listen!" said Hermione suddenly.

Angelina came in grinning, "Well, I've done it! Just put my name in!"

"You're kidding!" said Ron.

"Are you seventeen, then?" asked Harry.

" 'Course she is, can't see a beard, can you?" said Ron.

"I had my birthday last week," said Angelina.

"Well, I'm glad someone from Gryffindor's entering," said Hermione. "I really hope you get it, Angelina!"

"Thanks, Hermione," said Angelina, smiling at her.

"Yeah, better you than Pretty-Boy Diggory," said Seamus.

I groaned and buried my head into my arms that were placed on the table. I felt a hand on my shoulder which I harshly shrugged off, an amused chuckle was heard and I could catch Seamus muttering something embarrassed.

"Thanks for the support, love," said a voice in my ears, the same hand placed on my shoulder again, and this sort of became usual so...no jumpings this time.

I scoffed. "I would be the last person to support this rubbish, Cedric"

I turned around to look at him frowning; I sighed and muttered, "Sorry" leaving the great hall.

We assembled at the great hall for dinner, everyone waiting anxiously for the names to be picked for the tournament, but my case was different; I was scared out of my mind for the situations laid out before me, I felt useless even if I am the most prized possession for the war that is to come. To add to this, today is 31st October, so, you must have figured out how happy I am today (note the sarcasm).

"Well, the goblet is almost ready to make its decision," said Dumbledore after we finished our dinner.

He swiped his wand, extinguishing most of the lights. The goblet suddenly glowed red and a piece of parchment flew out of it. The first champion.

"The champion for Durmstrang," Dumbledore read, "will be Viktor Krum."

The crowd cheered and applauded until Krum disappeared through the door.

Once again the goblet turned red. The second champion. The crowd broke into another round of applause and cheers as Fleur disappeared through the same door.

And again the goblet turned red and the nervousness and anxiousness in me were overwhelming that I felt like I was about to throw up.

I took a deep breath in, "The Hogwarts champion," he called, "is Cedric Diggory!"

I felt my breath catch up in my throat, tears pricking at the corner of my eyes, my shoulders dropped as I stared at the back of his head, lips parted, breathing heavy. I dived out of my seat from the Gryffindor table and dashed out of the great hall not waiting for another second, not bothering that I would look like an absolute freak.

I rushed to the girls' bathroom and slid against a wall, tears cascading down my cheeks as I clawed my shirt, my head leaned against the stone wall and my breathing still accelerated.

I blankly stared ahead, the tears never stopping but just getting worse with every thought; the events recalling in my mind: the boggart, his command, his last words, the first task, the maze, everything.

I couldn't stop my mind from wandering to the thoughts that I despised. I heard hurried footsteps come towards me and I knew who it exactly was.

"Pride-"

"Don't. Don't call me that. I am no Pride for anyone"

She took a deep breath and I didn't need to look at her to see the pained expression on her face, "You are, for me, (Y/N), you are. It's alright"

"It's not alright, (BF/N)...It's absolutely not alright!"

She clicked her tongue looking away for a second before looking back at me. "It's okay, some mi-"

"NO, (N/N)! No miracle will happen! I am tired of hearing it! I am tired of thinking everything is going to be alright! I am done with all of these things!"

A sob racked my body as she pulled me into her arms. "It's going to be okay"

I pulled away from her embrace and looked into her eyes, mirroring my teared one. "I want to save him- no, I have to save him"

"Pride, you can't do anything about it," she said carefully as if I would break any moment, and came to wipe my tears.

"I can, I definitely can" I repeated that sentence over and over again.

"Pride," she breathed as she pulled me into her arms again, "Calm down, please"

I unclenched my hands and looked at them as if they could do some magic beyond my knowledge to accomplish my ultimate goal...

Little did I know that it would do something that's gonna change my fate.