7. Unexpected

Heatwave abruptly shoved the black mech off of Quickshadow before she could answer. Nightstrike fell with a crash that seemed exaggerated, splashing into the briny seawater. The red bot stood between him and the femme, hatred written across his features. Nightstrike glared up at him and ground his dentas. 

"Are you out of your mind?!?" Nightstrike cried, his gold-colored optics blazing like two flames. He stood himself up and got right up in Heatwave's face. He taller than Heatwave but the rescue bot leader stood his ground. 

"No, I'm not! You were making her uncomfortable!!" He shouted back.

"I was doing nothing of the sort! You are a delusional, love-crazed, metal brain!!"

The mention of "love-crazed" made Heatwave blush on the spot. He didn't want to admit his feelings in front of this jerk; He might use it against him and really didn't want to be humiliated right now. He also really didn't want to do this, but it was the only way.

"Love-crazed?!!?!" The crimson mech laughed like it was the dumbest notion he'd ever heard. "You're the one out of your processor! I'm just trying to keep my teammate safe from your clearly interfacial harassment!!! 

They both became silent. Fists clenched, optics blazing, dentas ground; the tension could be cut with a knife. 

"Alright STOP!" The commanding voice of Chief Burns echoed off the seaside cliffs. Nightstrike was surprised that such a loud, strong sound could come from such a tiny being. "You two need to calm down and get on that boat before it leaves without you! And Nightstrike!" The black mech looked almost intimidated by the human. "If I hear one report of your behavior don't think for a second that I can't have my team bring an end to you." Everyone marveled at the chief's words. They never imagined he would say something like that. 

"Now GO!"

Heatwave, Quickshadow, Boulder, Graham, and Nightstrike hurriedly clamored onto High Tide's ship like a bunch of kids obeying their angry father. It was a sight to behold that it made Kade crack up. Dani smothered a snicker. 

Quickshadow followed solemnly behind until a familiar voice met her audials. 

"Quickshadow, wait!" Cody sprinted across the sand towards the femme. He wrapped his bony arms around her pede, squeezing as tightly as his puny muscles would allow him to hug a giant alien robot foot. He looked up and smiled at her, yet his face was mixed with anguish. "Please be careful, okay?" 

Quickshadow stooped down and tussled his blonde hair playfully with a digit. "I'll be careful...I promise. I have Boulder, Graham, and Heatwave to look out for me, right?"

"Yeah, I guess...I wish I could come with you."

"Me too."

"Just, promise me you won't go anywhere alone, alright?" Worry gripped his words. She was slightly offended; She wasn't some young sparkling, she was more than capable of taking care of herself. Quickshadow glanced over at the others. It took her a moment to find Nightstrike, she wouldn't have spotted him had it not been for his radiating optics. The night-colored mech looked like he was disappearing in and out of vision. Like the darkness was trying to claim back its own. Involuntary shivers rippled up and down Quickshadow's spinal strut. Cody was right. As strong as she was, this certain situation required her to be smart, not prideful. She'd have to put her pride aside.

She focused her blue optics on her Amica Endura. "Yes Cody...I do promise." She knelt closer to him and embraced his petite figure. When she pulled away tears were in her optics. The moonlight sparkled in Cody's eyes, making her realize that he was tearing up too.