~24~

"Are you alright?" Lia asked me once we washed and dried the enormous pile of dishes left behind by our guests.

"I'll do." I shrugged. It had been a long day and I was exhausted, but meeting Bram Stoker was worth it. If someone could tell me anything about my other world, and help me get back in, it was he.

"What was it all about?" Lia enquired. "The strange man, following you... why didn't you tell me anything?"

I shook my head, not wanting her to worry. "Don't think about it. Lucas helped me out. And I don't know much myself, I hope I'll find out more tomorrow."

"Ok then. Let's take you to bed, it's too late for chatting." She announced as we walked out of the kitchen, switched off the lights, then headed towards our bedrooms. "The midwife will be here at eight, as you wanted. Then I'll accompany you to work. You are not to leave the book shop alone, you must remember to take your lunch with you. After your shift, because I must study for a test tomorrow afternoon, Lucas will pick you up in the shop and take you to Abraham's, and then back. Clear?"

I nodded, feeling like a small girl in need of a fleet of babysitters.

"Lia, suddenly I'm just a trouble for all of you." I mumbled before I entered my room.

"Nonsense." Lia said, opening her own door. Then she paused, looking at me, her caramel eyes brimming with questions. "Samara... who is Abraham? I understand he's a... vampire. But is he one of Bram Stoker's descendants or something? Lucas said he lived in Pimlico so I thought..."

I only nodded again, unsure of what to say. Stoker's real identity wasn't my secret to tell, not even to Lia. He must tell her himself, if he'll want her to know...

She sighed deeply, shaking her head, "How... weird this all is. I'll give it to you, my life has never been boring since I met you." She smiled. "Good night, Samara. I'll let you rest. You're a mess."

"I miss him, Lia. I miss Vlad." I whispered, turning away from her to hide the fresh tears filling my eyes, threatening to spill over. And you thought you were getting better... Who are you trying to fool?! My subconscious hissed promptly.

She walked over to me and pulled me in an encouraging embrace. "Of course you do." She murmured. "But all these tears won't help anyone. Not you, not him, not your child. You must be strong. For both of them."

Of course she was right. As usually. "Thanks, Lia." I muttered when she released me with a final pat on my back, then disappeared into her bedroom.

I slept too deeply to dream. It was as if my mind needed to shut down and reset, to be able to deal with all the new events and information coming at me from all sides. I did not hear my alarm at all and only woke up when Lia pounded on my door, telling me that I had twenty minutes before the midwife would arrive.

Why can't I dream about Vlad every night? Is it really because I'm simply too tired some nights, or is there more to it? I mused, adding this question to my ever growing mental list of things to ask Stoker as I took a superfast shower and got dressed.

I was halfway through my breakfast when Helen, my midwife, arrived. Lia let her in, and let us talk in the kitchen alone, while she retired into her bedroom to wait for me.

"So what did she say?" She asked me, coming to my room, once the woman was gone and I was getting ready for work.

"Nothing much. Helen did all the things you said she would do and asked me all the same questions you had asked me already. Then she said that we both seem to be perfectly fine and healthy. She will book me for the first scan with your mum, sometimes towards the end of the week, she'll let me know..."