Chapter 8

Wei Ying and Lan Xichen quietly listened to the others as they told them how Wei Ying had died. Jiang Cheng and Wen Ning took turns telling the story. Once they finished, Wei Ying touched her chin and hummed "I see. What happened with this Jin Zixun?"

Jing Cheng huffed, rolled his eyes, and said, "He was handed over to the Jiang Sect. Shijie punished him every day using Zidian. But at one point he died because of a Hundred Holes curse." 

Wei Ying glanced at Xichen-Jie knowing she wanted to ask Lan Zhan a question. Wei Ying put her hands on Xichen-jie’s. She looked up at her and said, "Jie, ask him." Lan Xichen took a deep breath and looked straight at Lan Zhan. "I have something I want to ask Wangji."

Lan Zhan tilted his head in confusion and questioned, "What is it?" Lan Xichen asked, "Was there someone who died two days after Wei Ying died? The one who died in Lan Sect named Lan Xichen." This question made Lan Zhan and the others freeze again. 

Jin Zixuan raised his eyebrow and asked them, "Why do you want to know that?" Lan Xichen and Wei Ying looked at each other. Lan Xichen opened her mouth to respond, "Because Lan Xichen is me. I remember nothing except dying, ascending as a god, and meeting Wei Ying."

At this everyone's eyes widened in shock. "Brother," said Lan Zhan. Lan Xichen looked at Lan Zhan in confusion. Jiang Cheng realized that she hadn’t understood what Lan Zhan was trying to say, so he answered, "What Wangji is trying to say is that Lan Huan, courtesy name Lan Xichen, is his older brother. He was murdered two days after Wei Wuxian died." 

Lan Xichen stood up from the bed and walked towards Lan Zhan. He hugged him and Lan Zhan whispered “Brother” again. Lan Xichen said, "There’s no need to call me brother anymore. Call me Quan-Jiejie or Huan-Jiejie from now on. I no longer carry the blood of the parents who gave birth to me in this mortal world, just as Wei Ying doesn't carry her mortal parents’ blood within her now."

Lan Zhan, who had started crying, pulled away and looked up at Lan Xichen as he wiped his tears away. Everyone looked at Lan Xichen in confusion. Wen Qing finally asked, "What do you mean by that?" 

Wei Ying got up from the bed and said, "When we ascended, the gods gave us the choice to be a man or woman. We decided to become women and start a new life. The potion which made me a woman not only changed our gender from men to women but also changed our blood. The potion needs someone's blood in it from Heaven's official, which would make us real siblings by blood. I am a blood sister of the Ghost King Hua Cheng. Xichen-Jie is the blood sister of Prince Xie Lian. Once we ascend as true gods, we will take the surnames of our brothers. I will become Hua Ying, courtesy name Hua Wuxian. And…"

"And I will become Xie Huan, courtesy name Xie Xichen. So, in a way, we don't have any relation as a family now. We are a normal woman to all of you and not your adopted siblings or siblings by blood in the Lan Sect or Jiang Sects," continued Lan Xichen. 

So in a way, if anyone one of them fell in love with their former brother, they would be capable of marrying each other since they weren’t connected by blood now. 

Just then, a silver butterfly came inside the room. Wei Ying and Lan Xichen heard Cheng-ge’s voice through their communication array. "A-Ying, A-Huan, there is something I forgot to tell you."

"What is it, Cheng-ge? What did you forget to tell us?" questioned Wei Ying when she saw other people present in the room frown. Lan Xichen was kind enough to explain the communication array to them.

"In the mortal world, there are three people whose fates have been changed and are now unknown, which also means they can't go through reincarnation."

Wei Ying asked, "I think I know who one of those people is. What do you want us to do?" Hua Cheng said, "If you pass this test, those three people will become your deputy generals. One will be shared by both you and Xichen. Of the remaining two, one will become your deputy general and the other will become Xichen’s deputy general."

Xichen finally opened his mouth and asked, "Does that mean you won't tell us who those 3 people are? We need to find out on our own?" Hua Cheng replied, "Yes, we can't tell you since it's part of your test. One thing you should know is that once they become your general they will be alive again. They will start a new life..."

After saying that, the silver butterfly went away. Everyone was still trying to process everything they’d learned today. Two people had suddenly gotten their hope back. A secret they’d kept away from others, known only to one another. Jiang Cheng and Lan Zhan shared a glance and a small smile filled with hope when no one was watching.