Part 9: Day's End

-Zachariah Rally-
————————————————
"That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard." The group sits together in the office. "You can't just send people out into the unknown to 'Explore'. It's the Tossing all over again." Leila says.

I sigh and look over at her. I stand.
"It's the only way. We will only send out willing participants. We need to know if there is other people out there."

"Exactly. To know if they are friendly or not. To know if they would try to hurt-"
"You don't know that they want to hurt us at all! For all we know they don't know we're here. Just like we didn't."

I look over at Sophia who sighs deeply.
"They could help us too. Maybe they're not just our enemies. We could form alliances and marriages-" I stare at her.

"Marriages?!" She looks at me. "What do you mean marriages? Not you? Right?" It all comes out at once. Everyone looks at me then looks down, realizing this is a private matter.

"I have to marry at some point Zachariah. I have no choice. A Queen cannot rule by herself. Men will not accept it." She holds her head up.

"Screw the men then." I say. Leila gasps. Lee stares at me for a moment.
"You know what I mean Sofi. You don't need to marry some prince. You can rule by yourself. Your powerful."

Sofi stares at me. She doesn't say anything. But the look on her face says it all. She doesn't believe me and she definitely doesn't want to have this conversation in front of everyone.

"We have to go out. It's the only way." She stands up, slamming her hands on the table as she goes. She walks out of the room quickly, the doors closing behind her. I sigh and look around.

***
(Suggested song- Let it all go by RHODES)
***

"How can you think of marrying another when I'm here. When I love you. When you love me?" She looks at me and frowns. Shaking her head, she sighs deeply. She clenches her jaw.

After Sophia had left the meeting, I was close to follow her out. She had gone to her room where I had followed her. I slammed the door behind me.

"I don't know what to say to you Zach. I have no one here to marry. It's not an option right now. So there's no need to have this discussion. I'm still 18."

"Not for long Sofi. Your birthday is in two weeks. Then what?" She glares at me and she rolls her eyes. I glare.

"I don't know Zach. I just don't know. Okay? I don't. And I'm sorry for that. But I can't talk about this. Not now."

"Love." I sneer. She turns to me, pain on her face. Her eyes are empty.
"Screw you Zachariah Rally. Screw you. I don't want to hear your stupid voice right now. Just leave. LEAVE!"

She is a mess. Her face is plastered into a furious expression. She glares at me with such fury I think she might explode. But her eyes give everything away. They are empty but with a glint of pain. She's hurting. It's my doing.

I shoot her a glare once more and then walk away. Just as she commanded me.
"Of course your majesty." I say before walking out. I hear her stifle a cry.

I close the door behind me and slump against it. I lean my head back on the door. I hear her walk up to it and place her hand on it. I sit there thinking of the last time this happened. Only the roles were reversed. She sniffs.

I wish I could walk back in. I wish I could tell her I love her and that I want to marry her. I want her to be my wife. I want to be hers and her mine.

But my pride isn't letting me.

I start to stand up and walk away.
"I never loved before you." She whispers. I stop in my tracks and look.
"We both didn't love before each other Sofi." I say. And then I walk away.