Part 19: Spread

3 years later...

(Suggested song- Carry you by Ruelle and Fleurie)

-Sophia Shade-
————————————————
I wake up slowly, my eyes adjusting to my surroundings. I look to my right and. Zach's breath his hot on my neck. I sigh softly. I slip out of his grasp, careful not to wake him up. My bare feet touch the cold ground. I shiver.

I take a deep inhale and walk over to the mirror, quietly fixing my hair. I walk over to the window and look out at the city. It's hideous. The streets are empty, with garbage littered down them. There are puddles from last nights rain and there's the occasional pile of bodies, stacked away from homes. I shudder looking at them.

Their faces are unrecognizable. Covered with bruises from the sickness. I let myself frown, even though I should be used to it by now. I'm not. I won't ever be used to it. What happened to this city. It once thrived.

I know exactly what happened here.

It was us. When we came back, we brought back things that carried diseases. With war, and blood, and dirt. Everyone was exposed. It was the outside world. Maybe this is what they were trying to protect us from by keeping us here. Hidden away from everything that happens around us.

I look over at Zach. He's stirring awake.
"Good morning." He says groggily. He yawns and stretches out his arms.
"Good morning." I say softly. He grins.
"Happy birthday Sophia." He says.

I frown. I give him a faint smile back.
"Thanks... it doesn't feel very happy."
"Does it ever?" He says, climbing out of the bed. He runs his fingers through his hair and sighs. He pulls me into a hug.

I sigh into his chest and close my eyes.
"Your twenty three now. I'd say that's a reason to celebrate. Especially now." He looks out the window and frowns.

"Don't think about that today Sofi."
"I'll try not too." I say quietly. "I wonder what the death toll is today." I say softly, looking up at him. He shakes his head at me and raises his eyebrows in a scolding way. I smile sheepishly.

"What did I say?" I exhale deeply, rolling my eyes as I do. He smiles.
"Don't think about it today?" He nods.
"Good girl." He says patting my head.

I roll my eyes at him. I quickly get dressed. When I come back out of the closet, he's dressed, waiting for me. He grabs my hand and pulls me out of the room. I smile to myself. It's been a while since I've actually smiled. There's been so much going on. I haven't had time to think about much of anything.

I hold his hand as we walk down the stairs. It feels emptier than it used too. Colder, lonelier. It has felt that way for the past three years. I don't know how to change it either. I look at Zach.

We'd been together for three years. Yes, we had many fights and many "breaks." But we made it through in the end. That's what matters. Right? I look back down at the stairs, carefully choosing my steps. I hear a couple light voices.

We walk into the dining hall where all my friends are already waiting. They're all arguing about something, passing food and eating. I smile to myself. They hear us come in. Everyone goes silent and turns to me slowly. A grin grows on their faces. Leila gets up and hugs me.

"Happy birthday Sophia." She smiles.
"Happy birthday!" The rest of the yell.
"Thank you." I laugh. They gesture for me to sit down and they pass me a plate. I nod gratefully. Zach sits next to me and puts food on my plate. I frown at him slightly. He raises his eyebrow.