Chapter Twenty One

"Let me get this straight, your humans from the mainland. And you turned into mermaids by going into the water during a full moon, and the reason why you're here is because you don't want to be mermaids, and Delphine told you the only way you can turn back into humans is with the Trident of Poseidon?" I recapped after Delphine's friends gave me a thorough explanation about what happened to them.

"Yes, that's exactly right," Isadora said, flipping a lock of her hair behind her back. "Wow, that is hard to swallow. But, let me ask you a question, Why were you dumb enough to go into the water during a full moon? No offense," I asked. Everyone immediately looked over at Klaus, and I knew that he had something to do with this. Well, this will be a fun history lecture. "It's not my fault, okay? I just suggested we go into the water. I had no idea we would become one of you!" Klaus sighed.

"What's the big deal about going into the water during a full moon?" Violet asked, carefully taking the trident from her little sister. "The big deal is that during a full moon, it's the only night that we can go swimming outside of Atlantis and not have to worry about the sirens. They're afraid of the moonlight. The moon lights our way through the water, and we get to swim up to the surface. At least, that's what I've heard," I calmly explained.

"Right, because you can't..." Veronica trailed off. I nodded slightly, and without a second thought, I swam over to the shelf that contained the starfish, and I grabbed the one that I had showed Delphine. The room was filled with silence for a moment or two, and I hated the sound of it, not knowing if someone was going to break the ominous silence. "I didn't hear much before I got into the throne room, but did my father say anything about possibly going to rescue Delphine?" I asked.

"That's the problem. He said that he couldn't do anything about it," Quigley answered. My eyes widened at that answer, and needless to say that I was shocked that he wasn't going to do anything about it. "I'll be right back. I need to have a word with him," I said. My blood began to boil, but I was trying my best to stay calm. "Father, I need to speak with you," I said when I reentered the throne room. "What is it? I'm busy with appointments today, son. This better be quick," he sighed.

"You're always busy," I muttered under my breath. Ever since my mother died, he had been so distant towards me, and every time I tried to talk to him, he would either ignore me or dismiss me with a skilled wave of his hand. "Are you going to do anything about Delphine getting kidnapped by the sirens?" I asked. Father let out a small sigh and looked back over at me with a slight glare in his eyes.

"Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do, Arthuas. Once someone is taken across the border, they're gone forever," Father sighed. I didn't believe him. Sure it would cause chaos if we went over the wall with an entire army at our hands. But, Delphine was important to me, and I was determined to get her back. "There's always something, father. I care about her too much to let her go," I protested.

Father sat up on his throne, and a look of seriousness spread across his face. "Wait a minute. Do you care about her? Do you care about a human?" he asked, raising his voice slightly. How did he know that Delphine and her friends are humans? Oh no, don't tell me he heard her friends tell me about their secret. "H-how do you know about that?" I asked in disbelief. "I'm not deaf, Arthuas. I can hear stuff from a mile away. Now, answer my question,"

Ever since I laid eyes on Delphine, I felt an instant connection, and I was so happy when I found out that she was going to be my companion. The night at the dance club replayed itself in my head, and the only thing I could think about was our first kiss during the slow dance. "Arthuas!" Father yelled, bringing me back to reality. "Y-yes, I have feelings for her," I admitted. Father's eyes grew wide, and he tapped his staff hard on the white stone underneath him.

"I won't allow this, she's a human, and you're a merman!" he bellowed. "Father, I'm not a child anymore! Besides, I control my own destiny! If you can't accept my feelings for her, then leave me alone!" I shouted before storming out of the throne room in anger. I slammed the door of my chambers, and when I looked back at the others, I could tell they wanted to know how it went with talking to my father.

"Well?" Duncan asked. "He's not gonna do a damn thing about it," I sighed, laying down on my bed. "Well, we can't just sit back and do nothing. Who knows what the sirens could be doing to her right now!" Veronica said. She was right. I didn't care what my father said, there was always something we could do to save someone's life, and I was going to do everything I could to save Delphine.

"You're right, I don't care what my father says, we're going to go to the siren kingdom, and we're going to save Delphine!"