The Polite Type

POSSIBLE TRIGGERS: Toxic Family Dynamic 

Playlist: Undercover Martyn | Loving is Easy - Rex Orange County, Benny Sings

I went downstairs, ready for my first shift at the DX in some jean shorts and a black tank top. I folded my blue plaid overshirt and stuffed it into my back pocket. I wasn't sure if I wanted to tell my parents where I was working just yet, it felt like our metaphorical boat was rocking and I might need to jump ship. This job would be my way out.

I did a double-take once I reached the living room, Stacey and my dad were organizing the newly furnished living room. The old furniture we drove out here was stacked up on the front lawn. It was best not to comment, so I made a stiff turn to the empty kitchen and left out the back door.

I wasn't planning on leaving for another 30-40 minutes, but I knew I needed to get something to eat before work. The book shop didn't allow us to snack, and I wasn't exactly told what was allowed at the gas station. I'm sure I could sneak it but I didn't want to on my first day.

Dairy Queen was a little out of my way, but the mom and pop place was more of a sit-down and tip kind of restaurant and I didn't have that kind of cash on me.

There were only a couple of people in the DQ and a very short line. I ordered some fries and a vanilla cone. My aunt taught me to dip my fries in my ice cream. Everyone always calls me gross for it but I think it's pretty good.

"Hey, I saw you at the DX yesterday," a tall guy with curly brown hair joined me next to the counter where I was waiting for my food. It took me a second to remember, he was the guy pumping gas outside.

"Yeah," I smiled, "you've got the dark blue mustang. My dad really likes Mustangs."

"Yeah," he laughed softly, "I'm Randy."

I shook his hand, "I'm Dorthy, but my friends usually call me Dot."

"Dot," he nodded, "you new around here?"

"Yeah, I moved in yesterday."

"Will you be going to school at Will Rodgers?"

"Yeah, you go there?"

"I sure do," he grinned, "you wanna come an' eat with us?" He pointed his thumb back to another guy and a pretty red-haired girl.

"I'd love to but I'm actually taking this to go. I start working at the DX today."

"Oh," he looked a little confused, "some other time?"

I smiled, grabbing an extra napkin and scribbling my number down on it, "I get off at 7:30 tonight. Call me if you're still interested."

I glanced back at his friends, who seemed to be not watching watching. The guy nudged the girl and mumbled something with a smile.

"Will do, Dot." Randy folded the napkin and shoved it in his pocket.

I ate the fries and ice cream on my way to the DX. Sodapop was there again, as well as the other boy.

"Wow," the other one said, "not only did she show up, but she showed up early." He nudged Sodapop before heading back into the garage.

Sodapop laughed, shaking his head, "that's Steve, he's the other mechanic here. Me, him, and Bobby are all the guys in the garage. You met Bobby yesterday."

"Small staff," I complimented.

"Yeah, usually there'll be at least one mechanic and one cashier at all times. You know anything about cars?"