- 𝓉𝓌𝑜 -

⇢ 𝑯𝒂𝒔 𝒑𝒂𝒕𝒓𝒊𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒉𝒚 𝒂𝒍𝒘𝒂𝒚𝒔 𝒆𝒙𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒅

Dr. Lerner, who describes herself as a feminist, believes that the tradition of patriarchy in Western civilization has given men "advantages that they should not have and to which they are not entitled. Dr. Lerner sees the establishment of patriarchy as a historical process that developed from 3100 BC to 600 BC in the Near East. Patriarchy, she believes, came about in part through the practice of inter-tribal exchange of women for marriage "which women agreed to because it was functional for the tribe" 

According to one school of thought, things changed about 12,000 years ago. With the age of agriculture and farming, people began to settle . They acquired resources to defend themselves and power was transferred to physically stronger men. Ownership was passed down through the male line and women's autonomy diminished. As a result, according to the argument, patriarchy emerged. 

For Claude Lévi-Strauss, it all starts with the exchange of women between human groups dominated by men. This is how the first "elementary" human societies would have been structured, and how civilization would have been born.

It may be a bit confusing, but all you need to know is that patriarchy has been around for a long time. Is that a good thing or not ? Everything is relative, but if we want equality, patriarchy must be seen as a social problem.