Chapter 26

9:00pm comes around too slow for my liking, but it eventually gets here as I make my way through the woods towards Moonlight Lake. It's a large lake behind the woods; about ten miles or so from my house. I've had to leave 45 minutes early just to make sure that I get there on time. My blindfold is tied over my eyes again, but slightly more loose than it usually is at school. I'm scared, nervous and happy all at once. Scared because I'm going to be showing someone my eyes again, after what happened last time. Nervous because of what he may want to talk to me about. Happy because I get to see him again in private.

It's not long before I eventually find the edge of the pebble beach that lines the lake's rim; the almost full moon making the usually dull grey stones glow like small bits of starshine. I come to a halt at the edge of the trees, keeping my body hidden in the shadows as best as I can, when I see a lone figure standing at the water's edge. The moon is outlining his frame, making it hard to tell who it is clearly. Quietly, I slip my phone from my pocket and text a message to Chase to see what the figure does.

Ducki: Is that you?

I watch as the figure fumbles in their pocket and takes their phone out a minute after I pressed send. Sighing with relief, I step out from the shadows and walk towards him as Chase looks over his shoulder in my direction. I wave my hand hesitantly and give a small smile. He returns the gesture with a greeting dip of his head. I come to a halt close to him as he turns to face me squarely and we stare at each other for a few seconds without saying anything - just the lap of the waves across the stones breaking the silence.

"So..." I murmur. "What did you want to talk about? Aside from our feelings."

"U-Uh..." Chase stutters. "I-I have two things to talk about but...I don't know. Maybe it's a bad idea."

"You don't have to talk about them if you don't want to." I say gently as he takes a seat on the pebbled shore. I silently sit down next to him, keeping my hidden gaze on his face as he stares out across the moonlit water. The moon makes his blue eyes appear silver in the dim light; making the hairs on my neck stand to attention.

"I need to." He whispers, mainly to no one in particular.

I put a hand on one of his thighs briefly. "Whenever you're ready." I reply, removing my hand and curling my knees up to my chin and clasping my hands around them. 

He takes a deep breath, still staring out at the lake, then begins talking. "I..I wanted to apologise. About everything that I put you through. I know I apologised before but it didn't feel adequate to saying it to you in person. I've probably made myself out to be an absolute jerk but, the truth is, I'm not like that. I didn't mean to hurt you the way I did and..."

"A-and I never want to d-do that to you again.." He says, his voice dropping to a whisper as he goes on. "I want to make it up to you. I-..I want to p-prove that I'm not the asshole I always used to be t-towards you..."

I notice that his eyes are becoming glassy with tears and he ducks his head as if trying to hide them. I shuffle closer along the pebbles and put my arm around his broad shoulders, pulling him into a sideways hug. I rest my head on his shoulder gently as I whisper:

"You already proved that."

"No." He answers, suddenly and sharply. I lift my head up in surprise and he stares at me briefly before going back to staring at the lake. He lowers his voice back to a whisper as he continues on. I keep my arm around him comfortingly.

"No..I haven't. Not in my eyes. I treated you so horribly - for such a stupid reason. I hate that side of me, but it's the only way I can..."

He trails off and I take my head off his shoulder again. "You can what?" I whisper.