일곱

THE WAYS OF NATURE

     The guardian quietly chuckles to himself as he watches the girl, notebook in hand and quickly scribbling notes as they walk along

"Is this your first time seeing trees wanderer?" He asks, out of genuine curiosity of course.

Her cheeks flush a light shade of pink as she tucks a piece of her hair behind her ear, saying, "pretty much. I've never seen trees like this. There are only so many trees you can see in the city."

He nods, impressed by her admiration of nature.

"Wait!" He calls out, reaching out to grab the girl but stopping himself from doing so.

The girl turns back to look at him with wide eyes.

"Not that one." He adds, regaining his composure. "That one is poisonous."

"Oh. I'll make sure to make a note of it."

Pursing her lips, she resumes her walk.

"What about this one?" She asks. "Is this one edible?"

"Yes." He says, reaching out to grab a handful of berries.

After blowing on them, he hands them to the girl, whose eyes sparkle as she places them in her mouth.

"These are so good!" She exclaims, quickly making a note of it.

"Yeah?" The guardian says, allowing himself to smile warmly at the girl. "Well, if you liked those, you should try these ones as well."

"Thank you." She says, blushing as he transfers the other fruits to her hand, his warm palm briefly connecting with hers.

As they go deeper into the forest, EunAe takes a closer look at the guardian as they walk side by side, noticing a few details she had missed before.

The color in his eyes flickers, specks of green becoming more visible in his light brown eyes, their movement reminding EunAe of the way a gentle breeze brushes through the leaves.

"We should take a break." He says, breaking her out of her thoughts. "It's soon to be mid day. We can rest down by the river and continue there."

"Okay."

Awkwardly, the two find a nice shaded place to sit, the girl sharing some of her food with him.

The meal is mostly spent in silence, the songs of the birds and soothing run of the river making her feel refreshed.

As they sit side by side, EunAe out of curiosity slowly reaches out and pokes his cheek with her index finger, on the spot where his dimple always appears.