First Ride

Jane put the horses in the cross ties then handed me a brush "you'll ride Whiskey. She's calm, a very good teacher. She taught Max how to ride. She does have some get up and go, but listens very well" she smiled. I nodded and went over to the mare, holding my hand out to let her sniff it. I smiled as her warm break hit my hand. I went to her side and gently slid my hand down her soft neck. She was so smooth. I brushed her and watched as the dust clouds left her body and filled the air. I watched Jane pick Moose's feet then come over to Whiskey to do the same. "Can I actually do it?" I quietly asked. Jane smiled and handed me the hoof pick "eager to learn. I like it"

          We got the horses tacked up and took them to the arena where three barrels were set up. I followed Jane around and listened to what she was teaching me. Just being up on the horse I felt like I was home. Like being atop a horse was where I was ment to be. I found my thing and I loved it. Jane let me slowly lope Whiskey around. The mare took great care of her riders and never took a wrong step. She listened to everthing I asked her, even if it was wrong, she made me learn from my mistakes.

          I kept riding along the fence as Jane took Moose around the barrel pattern a few times. I watched in awe at how good of a rider she was and how she was doing the thing I have always dreamed of doing. Hopefully one day I can barrel race and go to the NFR. She let me finish our ride by walking around the barrel pattern a couple times. I felt Whiskey tense up under me as she wanted to run. Being a barrel horse, she loved running. She wanted to run, but she knows who is on her so she stayed at a walk.