Buckle Bunnies, Mean Girls & Hot Guys

As I walked up with my foster family for them to pay their entry fees and get their numbers, I saw two girls dressed fakely. They were eyeing and cooing at Max. I narrowed my eyes, giving a small glare to the girls. They giggled and walked away.

          "Damn buckle bunnies. They're everywhere" Max shook his head and retrieved his back bumber. "Want to help me tack the horses up?" He asked not looking up from his run number. He drew his back luck number, 35. I nodded and walked with him towards the trailer. Each horse had their own color cordinated tack. I tacked Whiskey up in her bright, hot pink tack. Her saddle pad, reins, breast collar, boots were all pink. Moose had red tack.

          We tacked them all up and I climbed up into the saddle that rested on Whiskey's back as Max swung his leg over his roping horse Bullet, a short to the ground, stocky sorrel gelding. We rode into the huge indoor arena that was surrounded by seating. I looked around in awe, this view... It was a dream! I just hope to run in this arena one day. 

          I kicked Whiskey into a trot and rode around the arena staying out by the fence as I watched all the other riders ride around. Jane entered the arena on Moose, ponying her 2 year old palomino who was already 16 hands. She rode over to me as I slowed Whiskey to a walk and smiled at her. "It's amazing isn't it?" Jane asked in her soft tone as she looked around. I nodded "This is a dream" I reached down patting Whiskey's soft neck. 

          "One day you'll be taking names in this arena" she gave me a reassuring smile. I just chuckled and shrugged "I don't know. Everyone looks like their extremely good" I mumbled not looking up. Jane shook her head "don't think like that. You just gotta practice. I saw you trotting around just now and the other day and girl, you're a natural!" I looked up at her with some kind of hope and made out a "really?" she nodded "now get back to work, we've got 3 others to warm up too" she chuckled and rode off. 

          I saw the girls from earlier eyeing me down giving me nasty looks and whispering too eachother. I smirked and rode up next to Max and started tallking to him just to give them something to talk about. "I'm gonne ride around a few more laps then I'm gonna lead Aspen around" I said to him. He just nodded, his mind was still focused on his number. Last time that was his draw his horse was put down from a broken leg. 

          I rode by the girls one last time and sat back in my seat asking Whiskey to hault before we walked out of the arena. I got off and lead her back to our trailers and loosened her cinch. I untied Aspen and walked her around some, to find the girls walking up to me to start some drama. "Hey, I've never seen you around before. I bet you're just his little girlfriend who he doesn't care about. His last girlfriend was killed in a car accident and you're just a replacment too get his mind off her" They giggled "you can't even ride" she shot out before walking away. 

          I just rolled my eyes and kept on my way. I hated drama and tended to stay out of it. It never works in anyones favor if you get drug into it. I pet Aspen and accidently cut off someone on their horse. I quickly stopped and looked up "I'm so sorry!" I said before getting lost in his gorgeous green eyes. "You're fine miss. I wasn't paying attention" He said, he had a strong southern accent which boy was that hot. "I'm Lucas by the way" he reached down holding his hand out. "Sarah" I shook his hand with a small smile. "I saw you riding out there. You're really good. You have a better seat than a bunch out here" he chuckled "What do you compete in?"

          "Oh me? I don't compete. I just started riding actually" I said looking away. "That's fine, you're still hella good. I hope to see you out there competing your heart out some day" he smiled. "Me too. I mean... I hope to compete some day too" I stumbled over my words nervously. He let out a soft chuckle "well I gotta go warm this big guy up, see you around?" he hopingly questioned. I nodded "most definetly" a bigger smile slipped onto my lips before he rode away.