Chapter One

Do not comment spoilers or rr, they will be deleted.

  Air invaded her lungs, they couldn't take it anymore, expanded to their limit and they screamed. Delilah shot up, the rush giving her a headache and her eyes squinted against the light. Once her vision came too, she threw up.

Rolling on her side, her chest convulsed in on itself, throwing up whatever little food she'd had in her system. Her throat burned and a groan passed her lips as she fell on her back. The grass was soft and lightly pricked at her skin, the sun was warm and everything was just wrong.

She couldn't place why. She felt like a stranger in her body

Delilah couldn't remember for the life of her how she got there or why. She couldn't remember anything, only the basics. As if she were trying to recall the details of a book she hadn't read in ages.

  Merlin did she feel dizzy.

However she was sore all over, every limb aching and bruises littered her body. Wiping at her mouth, she grimaced at the taste. Everything looked a little blurry, her eyes squinting against the sun. Sitting up, she cracked her neck sharply and something in the distance caught her eye.

Hogwarts - she could never forget that castle.

Though as she tried to recollect anything more than a few tiny memories of hers scattered over the years there wasn't much else. The harder she tried to scramble after the crumbs of her mind her head would sting sharply and she winced.

She froze when a thought occurred - was she dead? Was this some strange mirage her brain created? Was this her version of heaven, hell, or purgatory? Delilah felt light headed as she managed to her feet. Her nose scrunched at the smell of her vomit as she walked towards the water.

Dipping her hands in, a chill shot up both arms. It was painful but also nice, she could feel and that was what mattered. Hopefully not dead then.

  Delilah splashed some water on her face and on her neck before standing up again. It was early morning and she flinched when she saw people at the Quidditch field. They were practicing and their shouts of laughter rang all the way to her. The sound of it sounded foreign and beautiful.

The Forbidden Forest was leering on her right while the castle tempted her on her left. Delilah felt she shouldn't go into Hogwarts. Something didn't feel right, then again she didn't even feel like herself. Perhaps she couldn't trust her own sense of judgement.

Patting her side, she let out a sigh of relief at the feel of her wand. At least she had that.

With a small huff she turned left, marching towards the castle with immense doubt and feigned confidence. Delilah had to keep going, she couldn't just sit by the lake forever.

  Once she made it onto school grounds, she supposed she should find a professor. But who? Her mind raced as she wandered through the halls, attempting to be as inconspicuous as possible. Who taught at Hogwarts when she went? Who was even there? A few names popped into her head - Harry, Hermione, Ron, Blaise, and maybe a Draco. But the name was strange. A new language on her tongue.

Gnawing at her lip as she wracked her brain, Delilah turned a corner and caught sight of an older man in a suit. He had greying auburn hair and spectacles perched on his nose. The sight of him made her a bit dizzy - she knew who he was. She recognized him, but what was his name?

  It was like a spider was crawling up her throat, just waiting for her to spit it out. But there was nothing.

Stepping forward to say something, she paused. How could she possibly explain her situation if she didn't know herself? As if some guardian angel was waiting on her, the man turned and caught sight of her. Delilah's breath caught in her throat, his eyes were startling blue.

He held an expression of curiosity as he looked at her. He smiled as if he knew her and she nearly tripped over air, nothing was making sense. "Um..." she trailed. He held out his hand, "Professor Dumbledore." Now that he said his name it clicked, he had been her Headmaster.

"May I speak with you?" she asked.

"Of course, oh this will be a very intriguing conversation. Follow me, Miss?" He mused, excitement bubbling underneath every step he took. "Delilah Meddows." She gulped as she followed him, eyes dancing around the stone walls and portraits.

  "All in due time, Miss Meddows. Let's get to my office first."

  Wait that's not right.

  Delilah froze and couldn't find the urge to move. Even when Dumbledore turned and urged her to keep walking. Her eyes were wide and her chest constricted as she tried to repress a heave. "Where am I?" Her voice was weaker than she would've liked, but Delilah was terrified and confused.

  Was she having a nightmare?

  Dumbledore sighed slightly through his nose, which was crooked despite the fact he could've fixed it with magic. He gripped her elbow lightly and led her into his classroom, sitting her down.

  "I think the correct question is, when are you, my dear."

  Her throat tightened and her tongue felt so dry it hurt as she pulled it from the roof of her mouth. Her nose stung and Delilah was sure it would start to bleed. A pressure was building behind her eyes, the weight felt dense to the point where she thought she'd go blind.

  Dumbledore observed her warily but still held his usual glimmer, trying his best to calm her nerves and come off as relaxed. It appeared she was having some sort of panic attack, her breathing was becoming rapid. He conjured a calming drought from his office and poured some into a goblet. "Drink this," his tone was soft as he handed it to her.

  Her eyes snapped to his hands. They were young and slightly indicated signs of age. A memory sprang to the forefront of her mind, sharp as a knife; his right hand had been black and charred, practically dead weight attached to his arm. When it clicked, her eyes dragged up to his face.

  Dumbledore was dead.

Had been - was.

  Now he was there in front of her.

  Alive.

  It was wrong and strange and confusing. She began to feel light headed again and Dumbledore eased the potion to her lips, he'd realized she was about to faint and he thought best she do it with a calm mind.