Chapter 1- The Beginning (A)

Paris, 2120

Paris, 2120

A gust of wind swayed my open tresses. Ugh, it was such a bad idea to let my hair open on windy morning. It was a no vehicle day for me and as usual I was late for my office, even skipped my morning coffee. Coffee charges my imagination, it being the most important part of my job.

I work as a graphic designer in a lead advertisement company of Paris. As I was walking, I noticed a small sapling grown on the side of the pavement catch my attention towards it, I wondered how could it grow in such a toxic environment. I can't even think of removing my mask! That small sapling filled my heart with hope.

I was looking around me, and realized how brutally we butchered the earth. The planet which we call home, which gave us life. Humans were time travelling, settling in the past, ignoring all the warnings given by scientists, which always hinted the cons and tampering of the timeline; pointing towards a mass extinction of Homo sapiens the way dinosaurs disappeared.

Soon I realized this wasn't the time to retrospect the human deeds. I was late for work. Claire, my boss, would definitely kill me. As I entered the office area, the first which I did was to remove my mask. Gosh I hate it a lot, it ruins my makeup! I headed towards my desk and saw Remi, my colleague. She gave me her signature smile, from which I realized that I'm in a big trouble. I am one hella messy human!

"Bon Matin!" (Good morning!) I greeted and she replied me with the same energy.
I settled myself on my chair and as I was about to gossip about last night's party with Remi, Claire interrupted me. "Ahem, Ahem Ms. Winni, when are you planning to submit the work, the deadline has passed ages ago!"

How could I forget? That too again!? I promised her to submit it on Monday, these weekend parties...argh!!
"I'll give you that on doom's day for sure! " I replied, relaxing a bit. After all I'm the designer of my own catastrophe.

".... and when is your doom day, Ms. O-ja-s-wini??" she struggled to even pronounce my name.

"Chal Kutti!" ( Go away bitch!)
"What???" she asked.
"Very soon! I meant to say that I'll give it to you very soon! Just excuse me!" I quickly paced towards the coffee section. I really love to cuss Claire in my mother tongue. I have never been to India but thanks to my grandma I do know Hindi. My parents came here after their marriage, my father had a small bakery which grew over time. They separated when I was 15, my grandma raised me and passed away a few years back.

Caffeine, Caffeine, Caffeine! I savored the taste of the coffee, this part of the office was mine favorite because it had the coffee machine. My eyes hooked at Nicole, our HR manager. Also my long time crush, this doesn't mean I didn't had flings. I had many but his charm was very different, his copper hued eyes were my weakness.

"Bonjour ma Jolie!" (Hi beautiful!) said he and moved towards me.
"Tu veux!" (Hey handsome!) I replied while sipping my coffee.
"Free tonight?" he leaned towards me.
"Always for you Nicole!" I winked.
"I thought you were seeing Chase?" he asked.
"We broke up actually!" I replied while appreciating his tall, masculine figure. The blue shirt and blazer complemented his late summer tan.